A history of Broad Street properties - south side
This history of traders and residents of Broad Street has been drawn from four main sources - commercial directories in 1833-34, and 1852, census returns from 1841 onwards, almanac street listings from 1874, and advertisements in almanacs and nenwspapers. Commercial directories are incomplete because businesses usually paid to be listed, which means that some businesses which declined this opportunity were not mentioned. Census returns, by their nature, listed people living in properties, not the businesses operating from there. Frequently the two can be identified because the returns included the occupations of residents, and more often than not, the head of household was engaged in a business at his or her residential address. Almanac street directories sometimes showed residents, sometimes businesses, sometimes owners of the premises who may have neither lived nor been in business there.
Advertisements, although only available for a limited number of businesses, are perhaps the most reliable source, because if somebody advertised that they were running a business at a particular property, and the date of publication is known, that is a pretty conclusive indication that the business was there.
So piecing together a history of a street can involve a considerable amount of detective work. We hope that our efforts will prove of value to those who can identify their ancestors living and working in Broad Street. Where possible we have linked residents and traders to family trees in Jerripedia.
Properties on the north side of Broad Street, covered in a separate article, were relatively small, backing on to King Street. Originally the Broad Street side of the majority of these properties was the dominant side, but as King Street grew in importance, Broad Street only had back doors to many of the shops. On the south side the properties stretched much further back and many of them contained housing units around a central courtyard.
Although some census returns and almanac listings distinguish between commercial undertakings and their owners' homes, and purely residential units, others are far from clear as to who lived and traded along the street and who simply lived there and worked elsewhere. These problems are compounded further in the earliest of census records, which do not list individual property numbers but simply list household after household on successive pages.
This property was occupied by the British Hotel from 1810, which probably predates the allocation of numbers to properties in the street. It ceased to function as a hotel in the 1960s and was taken over by Barclays Bank.
The earliest record we have found for the property adjoining the British Hotel is in the 1851 almanac, when Philip Binet, an ironmonger born in 1817, was shown living there with his wife Eliza, nee Wadsworth. The family were there until just before the end of the century: Philip was followed by his son, also Philip, and then by Philip's widow.
Almanac listings are vague on the occupants of 3 Broad Street during the 20th century. A A Downer was there in 1900, running auction rooms. He was followed by A Smith from 1910 through to the 1940s, but we have found no indication of what business either was involved in.
A 1950 almanac shows the property occupied by CI Productions, Jersey Car Hire and Jersey Sun Snaps. Jersey Pottery in 1960 was followed by Angora Cleaners a decade later.
Listings of 5 Broad Street are also limited on the information they provide. We know that Nicholas Wimbee, an umbrella maker born in about 1802, was there as early as 1833, living with his sisters Mary (1798- ) and Ann (1810- ) at the time of the 1851 census. They were the children of Nicholas Wimbee and Renee Mahier, or Mahe. Both were from France, and married in St Helier in 1805. One of the sisters had taken over the business by 1874, described then as a 'parasol maker', presumably indicating a feminine evolution of the business.
In 1880 the premises appear to have been unoccupied and after a brief spell of occupancy by confectioner Mrs Dubreuil, a Mrs Pimbert was at No 3 from 1890 to the turn of the century, followed until the 1940s by A J Gale. We have no information about their businesses. In the 1950s and '60s A H B Le Sueur traded as Maison Le Sueur, follwed from the late '60s by Jersey Camera Supplies.
We are not certain about the location of 7 Broad Street, because it has long since disappeared, presumably to allow for the widening of the junction with Conway Street. We think that this property must bave been on the other side of the junction from No 5 and have been demolished when No 9 was redeveloped as a bank in the early 1870s, to form the corner.
From at least 1833 until the late 1840s both were occupied by silversmith Charles Quesnel (1791- ), who may have been the son of fellow silversmiths Jacques or Michel Quesnel, but we have found no confirmation. He shared his home with his sisters Ann (1781- ), a haberdasher, and Margaret (1782- ).
There are records from 1851 and 1852 of another pair of sisters, Sarah (1803- ) and Elizabeth (1808- ) Barry at No 7. They were haberdashers.
Tailor Daniel Picot (1794- ) was the last recorded occupant of the property, living at Nos 7 and 9, in 1861 with his wife Elizabeth (1802- ). We believe that she was Betsey Nancy Mauger and that the couple married in Trinity in 1836. They had two children living with them, Louisa Ann (18389-1899) and John (1840- ).
The fact that the Picots are shown as occupying Nos 7 and 9 lends further weight to our view that these premises were on the west side of the Conway Street junction before they were demolished.
This property on the corner of Broad Street and Conway Street is one of the most familiar in St Helier. It has been a bank since the early 1870s - first Capital Counties Bank in 1873 (also known as Jersey Joint Stock Banking Company), until the 1920s, and then Lloyds Bank, which it remains to this day.
It seems that from the 1830s both Nos 9 and 7 were occupied by silversmith Charles Quesnel, and then by tailor Daniel Picot in the 1860s. In between, 9 Broad Street was home first to stationer John Gruchy (1820- ), his wife Elizabeth (1822- ) and children John (1846- ), Elizabeth (1848- ) and Charles (1850- ). In 1852 tobacconist Nathan Hyam and printer George Romeril were also shows as trading there.
For several years in the 1870s and '80s there was also a bank at 11 Broad Street. This was the Commercial Banking Company. It was preceded in 1852 by merchant Henry Bragg, about whom nothing else is known. There were several tenements behind the Broad Street frontage, but the 1861 and 1871 census returns do not shown anyone obviously trading from the premises.
In the 1890s Misses Whetton are listed in almanac street directories, followed by W Moyse and S Picot in the 1910s, '20s and '30s, before the property was entirely refurbished for the Jersey Electricity Company to move there in January 1939. Today they have moved their retail operation to Queen's Road and the shop at 11 Broad Street, having been a toy shop for several years, is home to Pound Magic.
This property also became a bank, in the 1960s, when Hambros moved in, but for over a century before it was home to printers and publishers and was an important address in the history of newspapers in Jersey.
The earliest available records show bootmaker John Ching trading there in 1834. The 1841 census shows that he was born in England in about 1803. He married Susanne Norman (1801- ) in 1823 and they had eight children, Susan (1824- ), John (1826- ), Joseph (1827- ), Richard (1830- ), Emma (1829- ), George (1834- ), William (1839- ) and Alfred (1840- ).
By 1852 Henry Fauvel (1809- ) had established the first printing works at No 13, and was also publishing the British Press and Weekly News. His wife, Rosamond, nee Wodams, was a professor of music and the couple had eight children between 1836 and 1858. The portrait of Rosamond gives a clear indication that this was an affluent family.
However, it appears that he did not do well out of the merger of his newspaper with the Jersey Times in 1860. He and his family left Broad Street and moved to 26 Simon Place, where Henry was listed in the 1861 census as a clerk. His wife was still a music teacher. Ten years later they were in Great Union Road - probably a step back up the social ladder - and Henry, aged 61, was described as an annuitant. Their daughter Emmeline, and a granddaughter Emily, were living with Henry and Rosamond. In 1881 Henry, Rosamond and Emmeline were at Hope Lodge, Chevalier Road, and Henry was described as a retired professor of languages. The family had moved again by 1891, to 40 Midvale Road, and Emmeline, aged 50, was still living with her parents.
The subsequent history of No 13 is the history of the two newspapers and two printer/publishers who formed an influential partnership, although one was much more influential in the St Helier community than the other. Further details can be found on our pages devoted to the British Press and Jersey Times and the Jersey Express and Channel Islands Advertiser.
When the Jersey Express folded, Edmund Carrel, one of its joint proprietors, left Broad Street and moved to live at First Tower, where he was described in the 1901 census as a journalist and author. Although they do not appear in almanac listings, printers J T Bigwood and W J Blampied were established at 13 Broad Street from at least 1886, and would remain there until the 1960s. Although some almanacs show the General Post Office at No 13, this is believed to be an error, because it was established at No 15 in 1909. Bigwoods were printers for the States for most of the time they were in business.
In 1855, G D Stuart was advertising as a 'general engraver and copper plate printer' at 13½ Broad Street, 'adjoining the British Press office'.
Up to 1851 there were no obvious businesses operating from 15 Broad Street, although the tenaments at the rear were home to boatmen, mariners, carpenters, etc. The 1851 census shows woolen draper Peter Laffoley (1810- ) and his brother Elias Philip (1828- ) living there. Peter was married to Henriette Gellender and they had sons Peter (1864- ), John (1867- ) and George (1869- ). The family does not show in the 1861 census, but they were back by 1871 and Peter Laffoley was shown variously as a draper or tailor up to 1886.
Capt Le Dain, running his School for Navigation, appears in almanac listings for No 15 from 1886 up to 1900. The General Post Office had taken over by 1909 and the property remains the town's central post office to this day, although only as an outlet for the public, with all sorting and other operations transferred to Rue des Pres.
The 1841 census shows merchant George Le Cronier (1796-1846) operating from 17 Broad Street, having started in business next door at No 19 at least eight years earlier. He is better known as Centenier George Le Cronier, the only Honorary Policeman ever murdered while on duty in Jersey. He was married to Susanne Le Brocq (1806- ), and they had four sons and four daughters. The eldest son, John (1822- ), was a physician who qualified at the University of Paris. He was married to Sarah Browning and they had four children.
The Jersey Banking Company was also located at 17 Broad Street, from the 1850s to 1874, when it moved to a new building in Library Place. It may be that some staff were resident at the Broad Street property afterwards because the 1881 census shows the household of banker's clerk James Bisson, born in St Lawrence in 1854. With him were his wife Annie (1855- ) and childlren Beatrice (1877- ), James (1879- ) and Eleanor (1881- ).
The 1891 census shows several households at No 17, including that of jeweller Charles Furzer, born in England in 1838. He was living with his wife Emma, nee Channing, an antique dealer also born in England in the same year. Their first two children, Clara (1859- ) and Tom Charles (1860- ), were baptised within weeks of their births in St Helier. The next four, Emma (1862- ), William (1863- ), Isabella (1865- ) and Elizabeth (1866- ) were not baptised until 1869, when the seventh child, Henrietta, was baptised within a month of her birth, together with her four older siblings. Matilda (1873- ) and Eva (1874- ) followed later, but there is no sign of their having been baptised.
By 1880 No 17 Broad Street was occupied by the Greffe Office, followed by J Le Conte in 1890, C Furzer in 1895, Miss Le Heron and F Connolly in 1900, and J Connolly and C Vickers in 1905. When Nos 15 and 17 were rebuilt for the opening of the Post Office in 1909, the use of the number 17 ceased.
George Le Cronier was trading as an ironmonger at 19 Broad Street in 1833, before moving next door to No 17. By 1841 John Lewis (1811- ) was at No 19 as a hairdresser and perfumer. He was probably the son of Owen Lewis and Mary, and had a sister Mary Ann, born in 1805. He first married Mary Bisson and they had four children, Susan (1841- ), Anne Delicia (1843- ), Emily Mary (1845- ) and George Adolphus (1846- ). He married his second wife Mary Eliza Aubrey (1824- ) in Guernsey in 1850. They had five children: Godfray William (1851- ), Letitia Eliza (1853- ), Edwin Aubrey (1855- ), Walter Henry (1856- ) and Alice Elizabeth (1859- ). The Lewis family remained at No 19 until the 1890s, when John and Mary Eliza moved to First Tower, leaving George Adolphus at 19 Broad Street to run the business.
From 1905 to 1920 almanac listings show a variety of occupants, without indicating what sort of business was being undertaken. Au Grand Turc, a fancy goods shop aimed at tourists, was established at 65 King Street in the early 1900s by Emile Lemmer, and continued by his widow Lucy after his death. The King Street business backed on to Broad Street at No 22. At some point in the 1910s the business moved to 19 Broad Street, and Mrs Lemmer is shown at this property in a 1920 almanac.
By 1930 the business had been taken over by Raymond Berthelot, and he continued to trade at No 19 until his death in 1954, having developed the business from a tobacconist and fancy goods outlet to a high class jeweller's. Raymond Berthelot ran the business with his wife Marguerite (nee Richardson). He fought for the free French forces and escaped to Jersey. During the occupation he, Marguerite and her step-mother Ada Jane Richardson (nee Syvret) lived above Au Grand Turc. Marguerite Berthelot continued to own and run Au Grand Turc after her husband's death.
For a period from 1970 the premises were occupied by H H Le Quesne, and later they became home to RBC Wealth Management.
Grocer Jane de Ste Croix and tobacconist P Simonet were both listed at No 21 in an 1834 commercial directory. The tobacconist Simonets would be at the address until the 1930s, although there is what first appears to be an unexplained gap in the 1840s.
The 1841 census shows tobacco manufacturer Francis Dallain, born in St Helier in 1807 at No 21 with his wife Jane Elizabeth, nee Asplet (1821- ) and son Alphonsus Frank (1839- ). The 1851 census shows Francis' brother Jean Gedeon Dallain (1807- ), a tobacco merchant, living at No 21. The brothers were both sons of Gedeon Dallain and Esther Simonet. Esther was the granddaughter of Pierre Simonet, who was the tobacconist listed in 1834.
By 1861 the Simonets are back, in the person of Charles James Simonet (1811- ), tobacco merchant and manufacturer, employing no fewer than four men and 14 boys. He was the son of Pierre Simonet and Jeanne Le Geyt of Grouville and Esther Simonet's nephew. He was still in charge of the family business in 1871, although it appears to have reduced in size because he was only employing five staff. By 1881 he had retired but the business continued as Simonet and Co through to the 1930s.
Other occupants of the premises in the 1920s were HM Customs and Britannic Assurance.
In 1940 No 21 went the same way of several other properties on the south side of Broad Street, becoming home to a finance company, Jersey General Investment Trust into the 1970s. In the 1960s and '70s they shared No 21 with United Shipping Company, St Clement's Housing Association and accountancy practive T J Matthews and Co, later Trevor Matthew and Carey.
Although 23 Broad Street was also occupied by a tobacconist in the first half of the 19th century, it soon became the home of the Ching family business, manufacturing footwear through to the 1940s.
The tobacconist was John Avril (1802- ), son of Matthieu and Anne Dacam who was shown at No 23 in the 1941 census, along with his wife Elizabeth, nee Dacam (1806- ), and children Charles (1831- ), Mary Ann (1836- ) and Elizabeth Jane (1839- ). The couple had two further children, Ann Louisa (1844- ) and Jane Maria (1846- ).
He was followed in 1851 by 'master cordwainer' John Ching, born in England in 1803, employing 12, and living with his wife Susan, nee Norman (1800- ), whom he married in 1823 in St Helier. With them were their children John (1826- ), Richard (1831- ), Emma (1830- ), George (1835- ), William (1839- ) and Alfred (1840- ).
The business was continued by son John, who married Mary Ann Collings (1840- ) of Guernsey in 1861. They had ten children: Emma Esther (1862- ). John (1864- ), Edmund (1866- ), Magdelene Ann (1865- ). Francis Henry (1868- ), Edwin (1870- ), Sydney (1871- ), Stanley George (1873- ), Hilda (1876- ) and Blanche (1879- ). By 1871 John Ching had a staff of 16, although this had reduced to six by 1881, perhaps because fewer boots and shoes were manufactured as others were imported from England. John Ching continued as head of the business into the 1900s, then handing over to his son Francis Henry, who was in charge until the late 1830s. His wife is shown as running the business in 1840.
After the war No 23 was home to a business called Scotts, before the National Provincial Bank bought the property in the 1950s, to be followed by National Westminster Bank and more recently RBS Coutts, as the bank's name changed following mergers.
In a 1834 commercial directory B Parkes is shown as the occupant of 25 Broad Street, running a pickle warehouse. Sadly we have not been able to find any further details of this intriguing business.
The 1841 census shows brazier William Passmore Preston, born in England in 1788, living at No 25 with his wife Mary, nee Short (1796- ). The couple married in St Helier in 1818 and had four children: Mary (1818- ), Elizabeth (1823- ), William (1825- ) and Edward (1829- ).
By the time of the next census in 1851 the occupants of No 25 were the Perchard family, headed by wine merchant Nicholas, born in 1805 in St Helier and married in 1834 to Mary Parkes, who was born in Middlesex in 1816. The couple had four children: Mary Parkes (1836- ), George (1837- ), Nicholas Thomas (1840- ) and Frederick (1846- ).
Mr Perchard was followed at No 25 by 1861 by leather merchant Philip Falle, born in St Saviour in 1816, the son of John Falle from Trinity. He was living with his sisters Harriet (1815- ) and Elizabeth (1826- ). He remained at the premises into the 1890s.
Printer J T Bigwood, who traded at 13 Broad Street for many years was briefly at No 25 from 1900 to 1905. He was followed by William and Alfred Ching, who had earlier been at 29 Broad Street as shoe makers and sewing machine retailers, and were brothers of the John Ching who traded at 23 Broad Street. The Chings were in business at No 25 until the 1930s.
It is not clear from almanac listings what businesses were cconducted at No 25 afterwards, and by 2012 it was part of the RBS Coutts building.
The first listed occupant of 27 Broad Street was linen draper Samuel Wright Riseborough, born in England in 1801, who was living there at the time of the 1841 census with his wife Frances Margaret, nee Watts, (1806- ), also born in England. They had a daughter Mary Frances in 1844, and remained at No 27 into the 1860s, but in the 1871 census Frances was shown as a widow.
In 1874 the premises were occupied by the offices of the Jersey Waterworks Company and Jersey Railway. The waterworks company, later the Jersey New Waterworks Company, remained there into the 1910s, and were eventually followed by hairdressers Turner and Plumbley, later simply Plumbley's, run by F H Plumbley and then Mrs E A Plumbley. The building was demolished in 1975 and rebuilt as part of the National Westminster Bank building, the street number being discontinued.
The 1841 and '51 census returns suggest that this property was a private residence. A 1852 commercial directory shows tobacconist Charles Phinn trading there, but we believe this to be a misprint, because he was shown at No 39 in the 1851 census.
Confectioner James White, born in England in 1821, was briefly at No 29 in the early 1870s, shown in the 1871 census with his wife Charlotte (1821- ) and children James (1848- ) and Emily (1856- ).
By 1874 William Ching had established his sewing machine depot at the premises and he and his descendants would remain there for a century, also dealing in footwear. As we have seen above, this was an entrepreneurial family, with at least two of William's brothers also in business in Broad Street. Another brother, George was in business at 33 King Street at the same time.
Corn merchant John Perchard (1780- ) was shown living at 31 Broad Street in the 1841 census, with his wife Mary (1780- ) and daughter, also Mary (1811- ). He was presumably also trading there because he had featured in a 1833 commercial directory.
The 1851 census recorded ship owner George Le Seelleur (1795- ), the son of WIlliam and Jeanne Ahier, with his wife Ann Marie, nee Le Sauteur (1806- ) and daughter Anne (1825- ). Son George (1828- ) had already left home. An 1852 trade directory showed George as a master mariner. There was no household listed in the 1861 census, but ten years later John Mauger was in residence, although there was no indication of any business being carried on. Upholsterers Crang Brothers were listed at No 31 in an 1874 commercial directory, but this may have been a misprint because in the 1871 census Henry Crang is shown living next door at No 33.
The 1881 census for No 31 lists Edward Mourant (1840- ) a mariner, his wife Lavinia, nee Williams (1845- ), a hotel keeper, and their children Priscilla (1868- ), Lily (1872- ) and John Edward (1874- ) as well as Lavinia's mother Elizabeth. An 1886 almanac reveals that the hotel concerned was the Jersey Temperance Hotel, and E Mourant is shown as proprietor in subsequent listings, although it can hardly have been the original Edward in charge when the hotel was still running in the 1930s.
Jersey Dairies took over the premises by 1940 and were there into the '60s. A 1970 almanac whose that National and Grindlays Bank were at No13, which also had offices for the States Treasury and Economic Adviser.
More recently the Mortgage Shop occupied the ground floor with a number of professional offices above.
The references we have relied on for most of the information in this history of Broad Street miss one of the most important traders. This was Abraham de Gruchy, whose drapery was at No 33 from 1820 to 1833, before he moved to King Street to establish A de Gruchy and Co, still trading there today.
An 1852 Post Office directory shows Charles Vendenburg trading at 33 Broad Street as a shopkeeper, but fails to mention what type of shop he had. It seems unlikely that he was living at the premises because no occupant is listed in the previous year's census. Ten years earlier the 1841 census showed Edmund Buckland, a baker born in England in 1811, living with his wife Hannah (1811- ) and children James (1831- ), Susan Ellen (1835- ), Louisa Hannah (1839- ) and Ann (1841- ), all born in Jersey. They were baptised in St Helier but the register does not show their mother's maiden name.
The next trader shown at No 33 was tobacconist Aaron Francis Allix (1821-1890) and his wife Sophie Jean, nee Martinet, in 1861. Upholsterer Henry Crang (1830- ) was shown at No 31 in the 1871 census, with his wife Grace (1825- ). An 1874 almanac shows Richard Binet, a carter, living at No 31 with his wife Esther Marie, nee Le Quesne, and sons Richard Edward (1870- ), Philip Clement (1874- ) and Walter John (1879- ). The Binets were still at the premises in 1881 and 1886, with Mrs Binet shown as the occupant in 1890 and 95, and son Richard Edward from 1920 to 1950, followed by Mrs M A Binet in the 1960s. A 1950 almanac also lists G Colligny, who was at 33 Broad Street through to the 1970s.
In 2012 the premises were occupied by Muga Bean Coffee Shop.
This property was not listed in the 1841 census or earlier commercial directories. In 1851 it was home to ship owner Pierre Le Vesconte (1787-) and his family. He married Jeanne Malzard in St Brelade in 1816 and they had children Peter William (1817- ), Isaac (1819- ), Isaac (1822- ), Jane Elizabeth (1825- ), William (1831- ) and Elizabeth (1834- ). There is no sign of any of the family in 1861, when Pierre, described as a merchant, was living alone at No 35 with a servant.
In 1871 the census showed the Fosse Family from France living in the premises, but no sign of any business operating there. General merchantAlbert Hunt, part of a family of St Helier businessmen was shown at No 35 in 1881 with his wife Mary Louisa (1854- ) and children Florence Mary (1867- ) and Emma (1879- ). A succession of occupants are listed in almanacs through to the 1930s, with no indication of which were running a business. From 1940 onwards the premises are listed to Happy Snaps, then the Jewel Box, run by Mrs J Sarsby in the 1960s, followed by Hambros Bank and more recently Caxtons Print Shop.
Cabinet maker R Le Gallais is shown at 37 Broad Street in an 1834 commercial directory, and then the premises are not listed until 1851, when tobacco merchant James (Jacques) Dumaresq (1813- ) was listed in the census with his family. He married Elizabeth le Couteur (1815- ) in St Helier in 1834 and they had eight children: James (1838- ), Elizabeth Jane (1839- ), Jane Mary (1840- ), Mary (1842- ), Albert James (1845- ), Julia (1847- ), Jean (1850- ) anmd Emma (1853- ). In 1861 James was employing four of his children and three more men. By 1871 the business had been taken over by James Le Monnier, but ten years later the census showed John Dumaresq (1850- ) a commission merchant, living at the premises with wife Lavinia, nee Shaw (1852-1889) and daughter Beatrice Maud (1876- ).
This family went to live in England and after half a century during which no business activity is shown at No 37, the ABC Tearooms and bakery were opened by the Guiton family. After the War the property was occupied by Rendezvous, still owned by the Guitons. By 1970 C Le Masurier had opened a Wine Lodge and more recently the 2012 census showed No 37 occupied by R M Lighting.
No 39 and 41
The Guiton family were also involved in businesses at 39 and 41 Broad Street. In 1833 W Marston ran a stationery and bookshop at No 39. He was followed in 1841 by Peter (Pierre) Guiton, a wine merchant, who married Eliza Neel, daughter of Elie and Catherine Perchard in St Helier in 1822. They had 12 children in total, but in 1841 only Eliza (1827- ), Peter (1832- ), Sophia (1835- ), Elias (1837- ) and Louisa (1838- ) were with them. The 1851 census shows the family at No 41, and tobacconist Charles Phinn (1810- ) and his wife Mary Ann Sarah, nee Hill (1813- ), both from England, were at No 39 with daughter Anne (1839- ) and sons Charles (1843- ) and William (1849- ).
By the 1871 census the Phinns had left and Peter Guiton and family were back living at No 39. He remained in business here and at No 41 until the 1890s. For a time No 39 was divided and the Guiton business was shown at No 39½, with a variety of occupants at No 39, including Miss Le Cordier, who ran a tract repository (religious publications) in 1874.
Miss E Fawson had a bakery at No 39 for a time towards the end of the 19th century.
Almanacs show a succession of occupants for No 39 and No 41 through the first half of the 20th century, until J W Huelin took over both properties in the 1940s. This company has been involved over the years as merchants, in the building trade, brickworks at Five Oaks and shipping. Their horticultural department was at 39 Broad Street.
They were followed by Barclays Wealth Trustees, who occupied both premises in 2012.
- That completes our history of properties on the south side of Broad Street. A separate article covers even-numbered properties on the other side of the street