A history of Rosedale Stores

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search


ShopIcon.png


Rosedale Stores


RosevilleStores1914.jpg




Pictured in 1914 when it was Beresford Supply Stores, this shop in Gorey Village may have changed its name, but in other respects very little has changed over the decades


Still trading as Rosedale Stores, this popular little shop in Gorey Village started life as a branch of Beresford Supply Stores, later Orviss, in 1891, and acquired its present name in 1959.

That was when it was acquired by the Hansford family. Vera and Len Hansford rented the shop from Mrs Hansford's aunt and uncle, Jack and Clarisse Le Cornu, and then Mrs Hansford inherited it and continued working alongsider her daughter Pat Clarke, until seven months before she died aged 86 in 2010. Today Mrs Clarke is in charge of the popular grocery and off-licence, which has a presence on Facebook.

All of this is a far cry from the day when the shop was first opened as part of John Walter Orviss' Beresford Supply Stores network, which started with his first shop in Beresford Street and became Orviss Ltd in 1917.

The picture in the box at the top right, which loyal customers today have likened to Arkwright's shop in the television sitcom Open all hours shows the shop manager, a Mr Hamon, on the right, with his wife behind the shed in front of the property where they lived. Standing in the doorway is a young lad called Baudains, who went on to marry and have three children, Frank, Fred and Madeleine.

In the 1940s, after it had been acquired by the Le Cornus, the shop was rented out and became a fish and chip shop.

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs