Abbot family page
The Abbot family was first recorded in Jersey in 1752
Baptism record of Marie Anne Abbot in Grouville in January 1814
If you can help with information about the Abbot family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname is of very early English origins, predating the Anglo-Saxons and Normans. It was usually an occupational name for a person employed by an abbot, or perhaps a nickname for one who was thought to conduct himself like an abbot. It is also possible that in some cases the name may refer to the offspring of an Abbot.
The surname also occurs widely in Scotland where it is either of English origin or a translation of MacNab, which also means 'son of the abbot'. The original spelling was 'abbod', Ralph Abbod being recorded in Somerset in 1272. The patronymic is usually indicated by the suffix 's', and very occasionally as 'bbotson.
The name has never been very numerous in Jersey. The first record is of the baptism of Elizabeth Abbot, daughter of Jean and Elizabeth, in St Brelade in 1752.
Charles Abbot and Jeanne Le Goupil were married in St Helier in 1764 and had a son Charles baptised there the following year. Either father or son died in St Brelade in 1777, but the church register does not indicate which.
Births and baptisms
Family members who served in the Great War
- Alfred William Abbott (1893- ), Mercantile Marine
- Harold Charles Abbott (1898- ), Ordinary Seaman
These wills created by members of the Abbott family from 1663 to 1978 are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Abbott : Douglas Charles , of Le Ruisseau, Gorey Village, Grouville - 01/Feb/1965 , 05/Jan/1972 , D/Y/B1/169/7
- Abbott : Emily Maud , nee Elliot of Cooee, St Ouen - 07/Apr/1943 , 10/Mar/1945 , D/Y/A/113/89
- Abbott : Geoffrey , of Panorama, 18, St Anne's Terrace, Tower Road, St Helier - 19/Apr/1967 , 08/Aug/1972 , D/Y/B1/178/33
- Abbott : Ida Harlington , nee Bradberry, 109 Don Road, St Helier 9/04/1934 Bequeaths all her trunks containing personal effects to the Catholic Orphanage, Rouge Bouillon, St Helier; to the Rector of St Thomas Roman Catholic Church, St Helier 7 unified Egyptian bonds of £20 each and 800 war bonds as a gift towards the fund for organising a Roman Catholic church at St Aubin Residue of the estate to the Little Sisters of the Poor £50; to the Home for Aged & Infirm Women £50; to the Jersey General Infirmary & Dispensary £50; remainder to the Rector of St Thomas Roman Catholic Church - Unknown date , 14/Jan/1942 , D/Y/A/109/7
- Abbott : Jessie Nina Frances , 19 Green Road 15/03/1940 Desires to be cremated and her ashes to be scattered in the four winds Bequeaths to Robert James Hilson the property 19 Green Road Bequeaths the property Hayfield, Portesbury Road, Camberley to Robert James Hilson - Unknown date , 21/Nov/1945 , D/Y/A/114/153
- Abbott : Lavinia Kate , widow of James Eadie, of Harrison House, Third Ngong Avenue, Nairobi, Kenya - 05/May/1976 , 04/Sep/1978 , D/Y/B1/285/27
- Abbott : Thomas Beaumont , ... - 31/Dec/1915 , 24/Feb/1926 , D/Y/A/86/33
- Abbott Young : Edric Charles , of Belvoir, St Peter and formerly of Rockvale, Millbrook, St Lawrence - 27/Jul/1948 , 06/Aug/1963 , D/Y/B1/75/47
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs