Alice and Fannie
Two beautiful paddle steamers which were purchased by the London and South Western Railway in 1870 were the Alice and Fannie, built in 1859 by Laird of Greenock, of 635 tons
Alice had been intended for service in Germany but went to America, where she was involved in the Civil War. She returned across the Atlantic to be operated by the Caledonian Railway Company, and after being acquired by the L&SWR she operated between Southampton and St Malo, moving to Le Havre in 1874, remaining on this route until 1886. She operated to the Channel Islands for short periods between 1879 and 1882, sometimes carrying mail.
In the late 1880s she was converted into a coal hulk and ended her days shortly before the end of the 19th century in a Dutch breaker's yard.
Alice's sister ship Fannie started running to the Channel Islands earlier - in 1870, but was mainly on the Southampton-Havre station. She was also intended for use in Germany and ended up on the other side of the Atlantic as a blockade runner during the American Civil War. After returning she operated between Stranraer and Belfast and was then sold to the L&SWR and, although used mainly on French routes, she did operate to the Channel islands, carrying mail for the first time on 25 June 1870.
She was a regular on Channel Island route from 1874 to 1880. She then returned to French routes and ten years later she was broken up.