Allix shipbuilding yard at Havre des Pas
The Havre des Pas shipbuilding yard was acquired from Mrs M M Le Feuvre, née Allix, by La Vingtaine de la Ville in 1979, for preservation as an open space.
The shipbuilding was begun by the Allix family in 1830, when there was a demand for Jersey boats, which could be built more cheaply here than in the UK. By September 1876 44 men, an apprentice and an improver were employed here, all starting work at 6 am. When the States constructed the Havre des Pas promenade they allowed Allix a gap in the new sea wall through which his ships could be launched. This can still be seen though now blocked in by stones. The first boat built here was the Jupiter in 1832, the last, a dory, for use by the Waterworks Company on its reservoirs. The plaque reads:
- "The Allix shipbuilding yard was on this site until 1904"
Henry served at Trafalgar, according to family tradition. He was the captain of at least one merchant ship, the Britannia, and last went to sea in 1844. He spent the last years of his life in Georgetown, living with his younger son Elias, also a Captain. The 1861 census shows that he had been blind for four years.
Henry's neighbour in Georgetown was the widow of Captain Francis Anley, who had been poisoned with arsenic placed in his pea soup by one of the sailors on board the Isabella in 1851. Henry's son Charles John had been the captain of the very same ship, a 59-ton schooner owned by Edward Jean and Co.