Alma and Columbia
In 1894 the London and South Western Railway Company had Alma and Columbia built by J and G Thomson of Clydebank for the Southampton-Havre service. They were of 1,145 tons, twin screw steamers, engines developing 3,300 HP and a speed of 19 knots. They were the first cross Channel steamers to be fitted with small two berth cabins for first class passengers. They called occasionally at the Channel Islands and were both sold in 1912 to a Spanish company.