Amy family page
This is one of the earliest and longest lasting of Jersey surnames. Members of the family present in Jersey today can probably trace their ancestry back in the island to the 16th century, or earlier. Despite the suggestion of 19th century historian J Bertrand Payne that the name originated in England, it is perhaps more likely that it came to Jersey from France with the alternative spelling of Ami, meaning friend.
John Amy and Jane Le Ruez and their children
If you can help with information about the Amy family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The name comes from the French ami, meaning 'friend'.
The earliest recorded holders of the name in Jersey are Johan or Jean Amy, a defender of Mont Orgueil Castle in 1338, and Jean Amy, living in 1402, whose family descendancy is shown below. The name is recorded 29 years earlier in the Assize Roll of 1309. Three Amys are listed in the Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550.
Although Payne's Armorial (see below) suggests that the Jersey family is of English origin, the name is probably derived from the French 'ami', meaning friend.
From Payne's Armorial of Jersey
This family has undoubtedly an English origin, but has been established in Jersey from a very remote period.
During the middle ages several of its members were ecclesiastics, one of whom, then Rector of Grouville, returning from a voyage to France, was in imminent danger of being drowned, and, in compliance with the custom of the day, vowed an addition to his parish church, should Providence permit him to land in safety. This vow he lived to fulfil, and erected in pursuance of it the North chapel or aisle of that edifice, dedicated to St Margaret.
Raulin Amy, another priest of the same family, is better known by his will, still in existence, and quoted in one or more of the Histories of Jersey.
[Some of Payne's assertions and family relationships have subsequently been challenged and the Amy family of Grouville history is believed to be more accurate - Editor]
Arms : Or, on a chief embattled, sable, three mullets argent. Crest : Out of a ducal coronet a peacock's head, proper, holding a sprig, vert. Motto : Hostis honori invidia.
- L'Amy Although this family probably has a common root, it has developed separately and is not considered as a variant
- Descendants of Jean Amy (1402) - this tree has been largely superseded by Amys of Câtillon de Bas which is more detailed and more accurate, although this tree goes back earlier
- Descendants of Philippe Amy and Collette Estur
- Descendants of Philippe Amy c1635
- Amys of Câtillon de Haut
- Amys of Câtillon de Bas
- Amys of Petit Câtillon
- Amys of Rue de Grouville
- Descendants of Philip Amy
- Descendants of Raulin Amy (1380)
- Descendants of Jean Amy (1470)
- Descendants of Thomas Amy
- Descendants of Abraham Amy, St Lawrence family
- Descendants of Philippe Amy and Susanne Syvret
- Descendants of Clement Amy NEW
- Descendants of Nicolas Amy, a family who lived in St Lawrence, St Mary, St Peter and St Ouen Added 2017
- Descendants of Richard Amy, a new Grouville tree Added 2018
Amy family histories
- Amy family of Grouville
- A history of the Amy family
- Amy ships captains
- Henry Amy, obituary of an emigrant to Australia
- Amys who commanded vessels operating out of Jersey and further afield
- Snowdon Francis Amy
Great War service
- George Amy was a corn dealer at 37 Halkett Place in the 1860s
- A Amy, hosier, was in business at 1 Queen Street in 1886. This was the start of A Amy and Son, which remained here until the early 21st century, when the family business was finally sold
- Toy dealer A Amy was at 19 Queen Street in 1886
- Shoe and slipper dealer Mary Amy and her sister Caroline Susanne, a dressmaker, were at 21 Queen Street in the 1850s
- Widow Elizabeth Amy was a grocer at 27 Queen Street in the 1860s
- A Amy was in business at 12 Queen Street as a hosier in the 1880s
- Amy and Baker were trading at 16 Queen Street in the 1880s and '90, predecessors of Frederick Baker which would become established across the street
This bible was a prize given to William Alfred Amy by St Ouen Parish Church Sunday School in 1913. William was born in the parish in 1898, the son of William Amy, of St Peter, and Mary Louise Rebecca, nee Wayland, who were married in St Peter in 1891.
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs. Images of gravestones in other cemeteries will be added progressively