Anneville Farm

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search


HouseIcon.png


Jersey houses

St Martin:

Anneville


AnnevilleFarmLogo.png


An 18th century Jersey farmstead which is now one of the island's most progressive organic farms


This property is in Rue de Guillaume et d'Anneville, St Martin. The name is undoubtedly linked to the commune of Anneville sur Mer on the Normandy coast opposite.

Despite dating to the 18th century, this farm failed to make it into either volume of Joan Stevens' Old Jersey Houses and very little is known about the history of the property, formerly known as Maison d'Anneville and now known as Anneville Farm.

The large photograph above is in the photographic archive of La Société Jersiaise but their website has no information about the property.

Historic Environment Record

According to the Jersey Heritage Historic Environment Record there is a note in the States of Jersey historic building register to say that Charles II stayed at the house. But there is no more evidence of this than there is of his supposed overnight or longer stays in many other historic Jersey properties,

The property is described as follows:

"A farm group retaining some original 18th century exterior features and character. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Main building: Front elevation: Slate roof, stone chimneys. Random rubble with ashlar quoins and quoined window surrounds. Two-pane (1/1) sash windows. Cottages: Front elevation: Approx six bays on one side and two on other, two entrances. Slate roof, stone chimney. Moulded gable stones. Random rubble walls, stone quoins and quoined window and door surrounds. Stone lintels and sills. Volieres in wall. Arched passage into farmyard now blocked in and converted to flats. Stables: Front elevation: Slate roof. Random rubble. First floor window surrounds in brick. Ground floor various stone lintels, including one chamfered lintel, two chamfered sills, stone uprights and quoins. Side elevation: Gable end wall. Random rubble. Moulded gable stones. Ground and first floor door/ loft openings."

Datestones

  • PM RM 1741 - Noted in Historic Environment Record, but not found elsewhere and not deciphered
  • PG SM 1760 - Philippe Godfray, son of Edmund and Marie, nee de Quettville, and Sara Messervy, daughter of George and Sara, nee Philippe and Sara were, according to the Jersey Datestone Register, married at St Andrew's, Guernsey, in 1750. The marriage was recorded in the St Martin register, because bride and groom were both resident in the parish. There is an earlier stone for them at Devon Villa, Faldouet - PGF SM 1754
  • PGF FFV 1794 - For Philippe Godfray and Francoise Fauvel, who married in 1773. Philippe was born in 1752, the son of the earlier Philippe and Sara

Today this is an organic farm, with a farm shop, run by the Le Gresley family

Anneville Lodge

We are not sure whether Anneville Lodge, shown in these three 1906 pictures, and described as being at Archirondel, which is a short distance from Anneville, is, or was, part of the farm complex

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs