Auffray family page
This surname is found as Auffray or Auffret in Jersey family records; the pronunciation is identical. It is the latter spelling which is found in Brittany, where the Jersey family undoubtedly originated.
If you can help with information about the Auffray family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname is particularly common in Brittany. It was originally a personal name derived from the Germanic Adalfrid, made up of adal = 'noble', and frid = 'peace'
Francois Auffray, born in France in 1836, moved to Jersey and married Mary Louise Courtel. They had five children from 1867 to 1879. The family came from Plouaret in the Cotes d'Armor department of north Brittany.
- Descendants of Francois Auffret
- Descendants of Francois Marie Auffret
- Descendants of Pierre Marie Auffret
Births and baptisms
Family members who served in the Great War
- Rifleman John Auffret, killed in action at Guillemont in 1916, aged 18
- Francois Auffray (St H) Private Middlesex Regiment, ex-RMIJ, served four days after lying about his age
- Emile Pierre Auffret (1902- ) (St H), Boy 2st Class RN, HMS Danae
- Francis Marie Auffret (Gr), Sgt Tank Corps
- Leon Julien Marie Auffret (1900- ) (St H) Ordinary Seaman RN, HMS Barham