Badier family page
Louisa Badier, born in Jersey in 1883, daughter of George and Mary. She married Percy de la Rue, of Guernsey. See World War 1 service for her brothers who participated in the Great War
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This is a name which is common in the Drome department of southern France, but is also found in Ile-et-Vilaine, which suggests that it arrived in Jersey from nearby Brittany. It is derived from the old French bader, bayer or beer which means 'to be open' or 'wide open'. How the name became a family name, however, is something of a mystery, although it has been suggested that it could have referred to a person responsible for opening doors.
An alternative suggestion is that it referred to someone whose mouth was always open - a simpleton or fool.
In the west of France badier is a variety of cherry tree and there are hamlets with this name, from where the original Badiers may have come.
The name in its most common spelling, and also without the final 'r', appears in Jersey church records as early as the last quarter of the 16th century.
- Baddier, 1607
- Descendants of Drouet Badier
- Descendants of Renault Badier
- Descendants of Jehan Badier
- Descendants of Jean Badier
Badier family members who served in World War 1
- Andrew William Badier (1881- ) (St B) ex-RMIJ, Private, Royal Irish Rifles
- Edmund Charles Badier (1879- ) (St B) Private RASC, ex-RMIJ
- George Arthur Badier (1880- ) (St S) son of George and Elizabeth, husband of Louisa Frances, Private, RJGB, ex-RMIJ
These wills created by members of the Badier family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Edmund Badier, La Villaise, St Ouen - 29 November 1932, D/Y/A/93
- Elizabeth Badier, White Hall, Grouville - 15 January 1915, D/Y/A/74
- Jean Badier of St Martin, bequeaths to the poor of St Martin, £24 of French currency 3 July 1819 - D/Y/A/19
- Jeanne Badier 30 October 1676 - D/Y/A/3
- John Badier, La Préférance, St Martin - 20 February 1935, D/Y/A/97
- Mary Badier of Whitehall Farm, Grouville - 20 March 1928, D/Y/A/88
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs