Bailleul family page
This family is found in both Jersey and Guernsey records
The St Helier record from 3 February 1690 of the marriage of Samuel Balieul and Jeanne Ballieul
If you can help with information about the Bailleul family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Our regular French sources suggest that this name indicates an originaire of one of ten communes and numerous hamlets called Bailleul in Normandy and other northern France departments, derived from the early French word for fence or hedge - an enclosed area.
The Bailleul family is mentioned in the Extentes des Iles of 1331.
Great War service
- Edward Clarence Baillie (1896-1917) son of Mr and Mrs P W Baillie, of St Helier, Rifleman, Royal Irish Rifles, died of wounds Further information
This will created by a member of the Bailleul family is now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, date and reference number shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Bailleul : Emmanuel Julien , of Ville de Saint James, Manche, France, now of 11, Southampton Terrace, St Helier - 12/May/1876 , 06/Dec/1880 , D/Y/A/41/68
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
- Carey, Edith, A forgotten episode - the Bailleuls family, Trans Soc Guern, 1917
- Moullin, EB, Marie Bailleul 1634-75, RGS, 1968
- Priaulx, TF, La Corbière, Forest, RGS, 1954