Balcam family page
Sydney Charles Balcam (1909-1961)
If you can help with information about the Balcam family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
We have not found a derivation for this surname but it is possible that it is a variant of the Breton Balc'h, which is variously interpreted as proud or boastful.
However, family researchers suggest that the name comes from the town of Balcombe, in Sussex, and has the same derivation as Balston, which our family page suggests is connected with Beald's Valley in Devon. The name is derived from the old English bealu = 'evil' and cumb = 'valley'.
The birth of an Elie Balcam is recorded in Jersey in 1661, the son of Jean Balcam. Elie married Elizabeth Cabot and they had seven children. Philippe, who married Marie Fiot, had four children; Jean, who married Sarah Jacobs and Hannah Proctor, had 11, and Francois, who married Anne Renouf and Jean Cook, had 12 children. Francis William Balcam, a descendant of Jean, his first child by his first wife, emigrated to Australia, arriving in March 1864 on the "Naval Reserve" with his mother and two sisters. They settled in Glenlyon.
These wills created by members of the Balcam family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Balcam : Abraham , 14/08/1783 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £30 tournois of the order - Unknown date , 11/Mar/1786 , D/Y/A/14/9
- Balcam : Jean Thomas , of St Helier 19/09/1854 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, 10s - Unknown date , 10/Mar/1856 , D/Y/A/28/165
- Balcam : Marguerite Madelaine , daughter of Philippe of St Helier 22/03/1780 Desires to be buried in St Helier's Cemetery Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £6 tournois of the order of the King - Unknown date , 22/May/1780 , D/Y/A/13/7
- Balcam : Walter John Le Cocq , of 5, Carrefour Villas, Val Plaisant, St Helier - 16/Nov/1970 , 06/Jan/1971 , D/Y/B1/154/6
- John James Balcam, a rope maker, was at 25 Queen Street in the 1850s and at 2 Queen Street in the 1830s