Historic Environment Record entry
This is a significant 17th century historic house which contributes to its setting. External stonework features remain, enhancing the front facade. Jersey round arch front door. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. House (two-storey, five-bay) with two-storey wing to southeast and outbuildings to southwest. House front (south) elevation: pantile roof with rooflights. Stone chimneys with dripstones. Walls squared granite, accolade lintels, chamfered round door arch. Windows 12-pane (6/6) timber sashes, with horns. 20th century conservatory to south gable of southeast wing.
Although it predates their acquisition of the property, Bandinel Farm, or Maison Bandinel, was namde after the Bandinel family, who came to Jersey from Switzerland in 1623, although their history can be traced back some six centuries earlier in Italy.
David Bandinel became Jersey's first Anglican Dean after he arrived and bought Bandinel Farm from Hiou, son of Jean Le Manquais.
The story of Dean Bandinel, who was imprisoned at Mont Orgueil castle with his son James, and died attempting to escape, is told on our Bandinel family page and in several articles with links on that page.
He was living at Bandinel Farm at the time of his imprisonment and his widow, Elizabeth, nee Stallenge  remained there for some time afterwards.
Despite the family's support for Parliament during the English Civil War, which led to the imprisonment of the Dean and his son, it continued to have a very high standing in the island after the Restoration, and the Dean's grandson, also David (1637-1700), was successively an Advocate of the Royal Court (1665-70); Constable of St Martin (1666-74); Greffier (1670-76); and Jurat, from 1676 until his death. He married Rachel Messervy daughter of one of Jersey's earliest recorded and most prominent families.
Although the exact sequence of inheritance is uncertain, Bandinel Farm remained in the family's ownership until sold in 1850 by Bulkeley Bandinel, 4x great-grandson of the Dean.
La Cache es Demoiselles
The lane leading from Bandinel Farm to St Martin Parish Church is called La Cache es Demoiselles.  There are two theories as to how it got its name. One theory is that it records the residence/ownership of the Misses Douce and Elizabeth Bandinel, cousins of Bulkeley, who may have inherited Bandinel Farm from them.
An alternative theory about the Cache es Demoiselles, advanced by Joan Stevens is that it was a favourite promenade for the girls of the village after attending church, where they would stroll and hope to meet their beaux. This seems a more likely explanation given that the addition of Bandinel to the name of the lane seems to be erroneous.
- 1619♥ILM, this very early datestone on the front entrance round arch is for Jean Le Manquais, who married Anne La Cloche in 1612