Barbet family page
This is the page of the St Helier register from 1697, which records the burial of Susanne Barbet on 2 October
If you can help with information about the Barbet family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The name signifies a person with a beard - French barbé
Although it is probable that the first three spellings shown are variants within the same family, this is not certain. Separate families exist in Normandy spelt 'Barbe', 'Barbey' and 'Barbet'. The other spelling are not known in Jersey.
The two family trees below are distinct but are believed to have the same ancestry.
Great War service
- Emile Peter Vincent Barbet (1881- ) (St J) son of Vincent and Marie Louise Denis, husband of Eliza Jane Simon, 3 sons, 1 daughter, Private, RJGB
These wills created by members of the Barbet/Barbey family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Barbet : Florice , otherwise Florisse Hamon Barbet, widow of Frederick James Horton, of 17, Marina Avenue, Samares, St Clement - 11/Jan/1972 , 11/Jan/1972 , D/Y/B1/169/15
- Barbet : Jean , son of Edouard and Madelaine Poingdestre, of St Saviour 02/07/1811 Bequeaths to the poor of St Saviour, £20 tournois of the order of the King , and to the children of his sister Anne Barbet and John Hepburn, her husband money in 3% consoli annuities of England - Unknown date , 17/Jan/1815 , D/Y/A/18/132
- Barbet : Jeanne , widow of Jean Falle, of St Helier 06/05/1812 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £20 of the order of the King - Unknown date , 14/Jan/1812 , D/Y/A/18/65
- Barbey : Susanne , widow of Nicolas Vaudin - 19/Dec/1727 , 20/Jan/1728 , D/Y/A/6/22
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs