Barrot family page
Jane Margaret Barrot and her husband William Thomas Robinson and the first four of their nine children, William, Edith, Thomas and Harry, in 1908
If you can help with information about the Barrot family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
The name is found mainly in departments of south France. Despite the identical pronunciation it is not seen by our French sources as a variant of Barreau, but we are not convinced. Barrot is said to be a diminuitive of barre, but it is not at all clear how it became a surname. It could be derived from the word for a small ridge, or from the Occitan for a brick, but none of this helps much in determining how it became a surname.
The name arrived in Jersey in 1843, when the birth of Charles, son of Louis and Marie Marett was registered. Charles emigrated to Victoria, Australia, where he died. Louis came to the island from St Lo in Normandy, and married Marie on 15 January 1841 in St Helier. Their seven children were all born in St Lawrence, with the exception of the second, born in neighbouring St John.
- Barreau, a possible variant. The pronunciation is identical
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Charles Wesley Barrot, Sapper, Australian Engineers
- John Henry Barrot (1891- ) (St H) ex-Jersey Industrial School, Stoker RN, HMS Dido
- Wesley John Barrot (1880-1949) son of Francis Ahier Barrot and Ellen Winifred, nee Bailey, Private, Australian Infantry, wounded at Battle of Amiens
This will created by a member of the Barrot family is now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, date and reference number shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Barrot : Cyril Arthur , of Flat 29, Le Marais, Samares, St Clement and formerly of 5, Meadow View, Longueville, St Saviour - 20/Sep/1969 , 15/Jan/1974 , D/Y/B1/199/52