Bassett family page
Alfred Bassett's family
If you can help with information about the Bassett family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
The Bassett family is known throughout the world and has been extensively researched. The family name in Jersey was spelt Basset and this branch is thought to have arrived from France in the person of Adrien, some time between 1750 and 1775.
This name has two possible origins, one English and one French. The English source is from a nickname for a short man, one of low stature, from the Middle English and Old French word "bas(se)", low, short, from the Latin "bassus", "thickset", wide, as opposed to tall. "Basset(t)" is the diminutive form of the original surname "Bass".
The second, French, source is locational, from a place in Normandy called "Basset". The surname would have been introduced by the Normans after the Conquest of 1066, and early recordings of the name show this derivation in the form "de Basset", as in "Gilbert de Basset", (the Bedfordshire Hundred Rolls, 1275). One William Bassett was an early emigrant to New England, leaving London on the ship "Abigall" bound for New England in 1635.
One of the many early Coats of Arms granted to Bassett families depicts a barry wavy of six gold and red. The Crest is a unicorn's head couped, silver, and the Motto, "Pro rege et populo", translates as "For king and people". The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Ralph Basset. which was dated 1086, in the Domesday Book, Hertfordshire, during the reign of King William 1.
Great War service
- Ernest James Bassett (1895-1890) (St H) son of Philip Abraham and Fanny Mary Ann Gottrel, Private, RJGB
- Walter Peter Bassett (1891- ) (St H) son of Peter Louis and Susan Nicolle, Private, Wiltshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Bassett family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page Basset
- Basset : Charles , of St Helier : 05/04/1875 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 1 shilling - Unknown date , 21/Apr/1886 , D/Y/A/45/84
- Basset : Marie Pauline Ernestine , widow of Julien Marie Emmanuel Thebault, of St Augustine's Home, New St John's Road, St Helier and formerly of Fairfield, Norcott Road, Bagot, St Saviour - 21/Dec/1972 , 19/Jun/1974 , D/Y/B1/206/50
- Bassett : Hilda Jane , nee Touzel, wife of John William Bassett, of Green Lane, Pont Marquet, St Brelade - 14/Jun/1950 , 20/Nov/1959 , D/Y/B1/56/70
- Bassett : John William , of Green Lane, Pont Marquet, St Brelade - 19/May/1965 , 16/Apr/1975 , D/Y/B1/221/8
- Bassett : Matilda Emily , divorced wife of Frederick Percival Lisle, of 6, Carrefour Villas, Val Plaisant, St Helier - 05/Jul/1976 , 05/Jul/1976 , D/Y/B1/242/37
- Bassett : Philip , of 24, Providence Street, St Helier - 12/Oct/1898 , 22/Nov/1898 , D/Y/A/57/94
- Bassett : Philip Alcide Vernon , of 11, Poplar Avenue, Maufant, St Saviour - 07/Aug/1963 , 12/Jun/1980 , D/Y/B1/324/23
- Bassett : Walter Peter , of 6, Highview Villas, La Pouquelaye, Almorah - 02/Nov/1950 , 11/Jun/1958 , D/Y/B1/48/51
A Basset family portrait by Ernest Baudoux
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs. Images of gravestones in other cemeteries will be added progressively