Bastin family page
Julia Bastin, of Guernsey
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
Bastin, and its variants, is of French origin. As with many French surnames found in a variety of spellings, this has regional variations, and the spelling encountered in Jersey has its origins in the Normandy department Orne, and further east in Marne. Ultimately all variants are believed to derive from the personal name Sebastien.
The name first appeared in Jersey in the St Ouen baptism register in the 1840s.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Edward Charles Bastin (1896- ) (St O) Rifleman, Royal Irish Rifles (we believe the family information given on the linked page to be incorrect
- James Philip Bastin (1887- ) (St O), Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
- William Francis Bastin (1889- ) (St O) Private, RASC
- James Brooks Bastin (1864- ) (St H) son of George and Hannah Graves Sapper, Canadian Engineers, lied about his age to join up
This will created by a member of the Bastin family is now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, date and reference number shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- James Bastin, 14 Ann Street, St Helier - 12 June 1940, D/Y/A/106
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs File:GsStJBastin1.jpg|St John’s Church cemetery