Baton family page
Henry Baton and Emma Harriet Pitman were married in St Helier on 22 June 1862. Thanks to the Rector's appalling writing , the transcriber could almost be excused for calling him Mary.
If you can help with information about the Baton family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name is said to have its origins as a medieval given name, Battle, a diminuitive of Bartholomew. We have to say that we are not convinced. An alternative suggestion is that it is derived from bata, the old English for thickset or powerfully built. This seems more likely.
The name, which is still present in Jersey today, first appeared in Jersey in the St Helier baptism register in the 1860s, with the baptism of three children of Henry Baton and Emma Harriet Pitman.
The couple were married in St Helier in 1862, and no place of origin is given for either of them.
Great War service
- Henry John Baton (1866- ) (St H) son of Henry and Emma Harriet Pitman, husband of Louisa Brint, Private, Royal Defence Corps
- John William Baton (1896- ) (St H) son of above, Corporal, RASC, ex-RMIJ, wounded
- Stephen Baton (1897- ) (St H) husband of Grace Ida Pirouet, Officer's Steward RN, HMS Vivid I
These wills created by members of the Baton family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Baton : John William , of 32, St Mark's Road, St Helier - 30/Sep/1948 , 19/Feb/1962 , D/Y/B1/67/83
- Baton : Treassa , of Rose Cottage, Valley Road, St Helier - 02/Apr/1954 , 22/Jan/1958 , D/Y/B1/46/23