Battam family page
Marie Battam, nee Le Prevost (1829-1915)
If you can help with information about the Battam family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of surname
We have been unable to find any information specifically relating to the derivation of Battam, but Battams is a much more common English name, of Anglo-Saxon origin, and denoting someone living in a dell, hollow or broad valley, deriving from the old English "bothm, botm". In some instances the name may also be specifically locational from any of the various places in the north of England named with the above word, for example, Bottom (o'the Moor), Lancashire; and Bottoms in South Nottinghamshire and the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The earliest Battam records are the burial of Mathieu, a soldier, in 1667, and the baptisms of William and Richard, sons of William and Catherine Yong (Jong?) in 1689 and 1691 respectively, but this line appears to have died out. Richard was buried in the same year that he was born. William and Catherine were married in St Clement in 1687.
It is believed that brothers William and John Battam moved from Kent to Jersey where they married Blampied sisters (see tree below). Some sources show their father John born in St Clement, and his father John dying in Jersey, but there are no church records to support this.
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Battam family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Battam : Christine Lydia Amelia , widow of Herbert Coombs, of Sandybrook Hospital, St Peter - 07/May/1970 , 07/May/1970 , D/Y/B1/145/10
- Battam : Georgina Mary , widow of Frederick Richard Crumpton, of St Helier House, St Helier and formerly of Casa-Loma, Langley Avenue, St Saviour - 07/May/1959 , 09/Feb/1971 , D/Y/B1/155/26
- Battam : Harold William , of 6, Cottage, 24, Seaton Place, St Helier - 22/Jul/1971 , 31/Dec/1971 , D/Y/B1/168/41
- Battam : Jane , of St Clement - 12/Feb/1868 , 14/Mar/1868 , D/Y/A/34/22
- Battam : Marie , nee Disquet, widow of Francis Philip Charles Bertram, of Zephyr Cottage, Dicq Road - 23/Jun/1947 , 06/Jul/1956 , D/Y/B1/36/31
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs. Images of gravestones in other cemeteries will be added progressively