Battrick family page
Georgina May Battrick (1900-1969) said she was 18 in 1916 to work in a munitions factory in England
If you can help with information about the Battrick family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and derives from the Old English male personal name 'Beaduric', composed of the elements beadu, battle, with ric, power. The modern surname, which can be found in various forms in England , is rare. The original name is also found in two English placenames, Battersea in London, recorded as 'Badoricesheah' in 695, and meaning 'Beaduric's Island', and Bethersden in Kent, recorded as 'Baedericesdaenne' in the Domesday Book of 1086, and meaning 'Beaduric's (swine) pasture'.
The name does not appear in Jersey records until 1838, when John, the son of Robert and Elizabeth Gumbrell, was baptised in St Brelade. His brother Thomas was baptised there two years later.
Robert and Elizabeth came to Jersey from Bere Regis, Dorset, where Robert's ancestry can be traced back several generations to another Robert (1640- ) who arrived in Dorset from Ireland.
Births and baptisms
Battrick family members who served in World War 1
- Percy Battrick (1894-1918) (St H)son of Walter James and Mary Jane Palmer, husband of Ellen Maud Hearne, Able Seaman, Mercantile Marine, ss Normandy, died when ship sank after being torpedoed in English Channel
- Alfred Battrick (1878- ) (St H) son of Thomas and Mary Jane May, Rifleman, King's Royal Rifle Corps
- Thomas Elias Battrick (1898- ) (St H) son of Thomas and Henrietta Le Bailly, Private RE
- Georgina May Battrick (1900-1969) daughter of George Frederick and Mary Jane Foott, lied about her age in 1916 to work in munitions factory
These wills created by members of the Anderson family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Battrick : Albert John , 3 Devon Cottages, Hansford Lane, Jersey - 09/Dec/1940 , 06/Feb/1946 , D/Y/A/115/42
- Battrick : Alice Elizabeth , daughter of Thomas, of Pretoria Cottage, Brighton Road, St Helier - 04/May/1942 , 10/Mar/1959 , D/Y/B1/53/38
- Battrick : Henrietta Maud , widow of Arthur Christopher Styles, of the Jersey General Hospital and formerly of Tiverton, 13, Chevalier Road, St Helier - 11/Apr/1979 , 16/May/1980 , D/Y/B1/323/3
- Battrick : Thomas , ... - 13/Nov/1892 , 07/Feb/1893 , D/Y/A/52/10
- Battrick : Thomas Harold , of 7, Mayfield Avenue, St Brelade - 17/Jul/1962 , 09/Jun/1972 , D/Y/B1/175/38
- Battrick : Walter , of School House, Mont Les Vaux, St Aubin - 06/Aug/1973 , 06/Aug/1973 , D/Y/B1/193/47
- Battrick : William Alexander , of Newbury House, First Tower - 27/Jul/1953 , 03/Apr/1956 , D/Y/B1/35/23
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs