Beaugeard family page
1859 record of the baptism of Marie Louise Beaugeard in St Helier
If you can help with information about the Beaugeard family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
We have found no specific reference to the origins of this name, but believe that it is probably a variant of Beaugars, which is derived from the old French for handsome young man.
The name first appears in Jersey records in the 1850s. The fact that baptisms and births were recorded in St Saviour, St Helier and St Mary within a period of about a decade suggests that more than one family arrived in the island at about the same time.
It is suggested that Ferdinand Francois Beaugeard was born in St Helier in 1848, but there is no baptism record to confirm this. His family came from Normandy.
Census returns also show John Beaugeard (see tree below) born either in St Helier or St Martin in 1835, but he does not appear in parish baptism records.
Further research has cast doubt on the inclusion of all the people linked from this page as Beaugeard. The spelling Beaugard was undoubtedly used by some of them, although official records appear to be confused. The tree below - Descendants of John Beaugeard - links to the family gravestones below in Mont a l'Abbé cemetery, on which the name is spelt Beaugard.
Births and baptisms
These wills created by members of the Beaugeard family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Beaugeard : Albert Alexis Adrien , Carrefour Selous, St Lawrence - 15/Dec/1932 , 27/Sep/1933 , D/Y/A/95/16
- Beaugeard : Alphonse , La Grande Maison, Vingtaine de la Croiserie, Trinity - 24/Jul/1919 , 09/Jan/1920 , D/Y/A/80/6
- Beaugeard : Emmanuel Charles , St John 27/11/1918 Desires to be buried in St Matthews Cemetery, St Peter - Unknown date , 01/Jul/1925 , D/Y/A/85/107
- Beaugeard : Julia Augusta , widow of George Quenault, of Victoria Stores, La Boucterie, Trinity - 25/May/1954 , 14/Aug/1974 , D/Y/B1/209/40
- Beaugeard : Pauline Hannah , St Helier - 27/Jul/1903 , 24/Mar/1908 , D/Y/A/67/39
- Beaugeard : Reginald , of Barneville, Grands Vaux, St Helier - 16/May/1977 , 19/Nov/1979 , D/Y/B1/309/39
- Beaugeard : Theophilus , of St Saviour, now of St Helier : - 04/Jul/1879 , 15/Mar/1883 , D/Y/A/43/29
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs