Beaulieu, Trinity

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Beaulieu, Trinity


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

Property name



Rue de Dielament, Trinity

Type of property

1830s farmhouse


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

  • Alexandre: The Trinity Alexandres owned this property in the 17th century and no doubt before then. Here was born the privateer commander and shipowner, Charles Alexandre (1720-1758). It eventually passed to Charles`s grand-daughter, Susanne Alexandre (1779-1862), wife of Hugh Du Pont junr., who lived with her husband at his home, Vieux Menage, St Saviour. At this time Beaulieu was probably let to tenants as it was, when Susanne sold it in 1799, described as being in a ruinous condition. The purchaser was Hugh`s brother Philippe, who sold it in 1800 to Elie Starck, fils Jean, who retained it for 32 years, before selling it to Edmond Le Cornu. The latter conveyed it in 1834 to his brother-in-law, George Philippe Le Brun, who rebuilt it in 1837. Certain areas of much older exposed stonework, are all that remain of the earlier house. The land appears to have been retained intact. Fields mentioned in the 1799 sale included Les Parquets and Le Clos à Brébis. The sale price of 44 Quartiers and 3 cabots, indicate that this was, even prior to being rebuilt, a most desirable holding
  • Le Brun: The property was in the continuous ownership of the Le Brun family from its construction in 1837 for over 100 years. In 1941 it was owned by Edward Renouf Le Brun (1905- ), who was living there with his wife Sybil Lizzie, nee Cabot (1909- ) and their children Edward (1930- ), John (1932- ) and Cyril (1934- ). Also in the household were Edward's widowed mother Florence Louisa, nee Renouf (1874- ) and his brother Harold (1907- )
Edward Renouf Le Brun with his wife Sybil Lizzie, nee Cabot, and their son John Cabot Le Brun and his wife Betty Rosemary, nee A'Court in front of Beaulieu


This is a rare example of a property with a 19th century stone and two erected in the 20th

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Circa 1830s two-storey five-bay farmhouse with fine stonework on the south elevation, and retaining historic features internally, in particular the intact ground floor east room.

Windows original 12 pane sashes. Unusual double door in central bay, with fanlight.

Ground floor east room has original white marble fireplace, grate, alcoves, side boards with applied decoration matched on original six-panel door with reed moulded, bull's eye architrave. Ground floor west room has original fireplace and grate, relocated from first floor. West wing has corbelled granite fireplace (damaged when blocked up in mid-20th century and reconstructed when later exposed).

Old Jersey Houses

Not included

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs