Beer family page
This old English surname does not suggest a lover of ale, but is a locational name from any of the various places called Beer, for example in Devonshire, Dorset and Somerset
The baptism record of Eleonor Beer from the 1812 St Helier register
If you can help with information about the Beer family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This old English surname does not suggest a lover of ale, but is a locational name from any of the various places called Beer, for example in Devonshire, Dorset and Somerset, recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as 'Bera', 'Bera' and 'Bere'. These places derive from either the old English bearu a grove or wood, or baer, pasture.
The surname may also derive from the old English bera, Middle English bere, a bear, and would have been used as a nickname for someone bearing a fancied resemblance to a bear.
The name first appears in Jersey church records in 1812, when John and Mary's son John Philip was baptised, folowed by Eleanor, daughter of John and Margaret.
There are no further known descendants in these families, but in 1828 the first of nine children of James Beer and Ann Carter was baptised in St Helier. They both came from England and were living at 6 Seaton Place in 1841. John was a coachmaker.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Alfred Henry Beere (1871-1916) (IoW), son of George and Anne, L-Cpl, Royal Defence Corps, died
- Cecil Robert Beer (1891- ) (St H) son of Alvina, Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery
- Frederick John Beer (1879- ) (Devon) son of James and Sarah, moved to Jersey c 1905, Private, Royal Veterinary Corps
- Reginald John Beer (1893- ) (St H) son of Alvina, Lieutenant, Royal Garrison Artillery
- Robert Beer (1854- ) Mercantile Marine
These wills created by members of the Beer family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Beer : Alice Maud , widow of William Boase Ellis, of 5, St Anne's Terrace, Richlieu Park, Tower Road, St Helier - 02/Apr/1964 , 30/Dec/1975 , D/Y/B1/233/11
- Beer : Cecil Robert Vautier , of Salisbury Cottage, Coast Road, Samares, St Clement - 29/Sep/1971 , 31/May/1977 , D/Y/B1/259/20
- Beer : Ellen , wife of Henry Francis Journeaux, of 115, Don Road, St Helier - 13/May/1953 , 05/Feb/1968 , D/Y/B1/116/18
- Beer : John Buscombe , Brooklyn House, St Lawrence - 03/Sep/1928 , 15/Jan/1929 , D/Y/A/89/11
- Beer : John Vautier , Hampshire Regiment - 21/Dec/1944 , 05/Sep/1945 , D/Y/A/114/56
- Beer : Mary Ann , 1, Eden Place, Ann Street, St Helier - 24/Aug/1931 , 08/Apr/1933 , D/Y/A/94/93
- Beer : Reginald John , 5 Raleigh Avenue, St Helier, owner of J F Vautier, Wine & Spirit Merchant business situated at nos 57 & 59 New Street, St Helier 25/06/1945 Requests his executors purchase a plot of burial land in Mont-a-l'Abbe cemetery Desires to turn the Wine & Spirit business carried on by him into a limited liability company to be known as J F Vautier Ltd Bequeaths to Ernest Huelin his share in the motor yacht known as Waterwitch - Unknown date , 31/Aug/1945 , D/Y/A/114/54
- Beere : Margaret Hilda , widow of Edward George Broad, of Ambleside, Fauvic, Grouville and formerly of Southwold, Victoria Avenue, St Helier - 04/Oct/1968 , 16/May/1975 , D/Y/B1/222/42
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs