Belford family page
If you can help with information about the Belford family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is an Anglo-Scottish surname. The Scots claim that it originates from Belford, a hamlet near Yetholm in Roxburgh, Scotland. Its now much larger 'neighbour' of Belford in Northumberland is a more likely origin for most English nameholders. Either way the surname comes from the region of the British Isles known as The Borders. The place name and hence the surname probably means 'good crossing'.
The first immigrant to Jersey appears to have been Jean (or more likely John at baptism) Belford (1773-1832) who married Francoise Vardon in Grouville in 1802. The couple had 15 children and were probably the ancestors of all the Belfords on record in the island before 1900.
- de Beleford
Births and baptisms
These wills created by members of the Belford family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Belford : George , of St Helier 18/07/1854 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 5 shillings - Unknown date , 28/Aug/1865 , D/Y/A/32/119
- Belford : James Francis , 2 Silvertide, Havre des Pas, St Helier 6/06/1911 Bequeaths to James Mauger Belford the goodwill of the businesses of 16 and 35 Halkett Place and 36 King Street - Unknown date , 07/Jun/1920 , D/Y/A/80/74
- Belford : James Mauger , of Sea Court, Bel Royal, St Lawrence - 07/Sep/1960 , 22/Sep/1961 , D/Y/B1/65/63
- Belford : John George , of St Helier 10/05/1859 Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, 5s - Unknown date , 11/Jul/1860 , D/Y/A/30/60
- Belford : Lilian Maud , widow of Henry Shirvell, of 4, Roseville Terrace, Roseville Street, St Helier - 26/Oct/1964 , 04/Feb/1969 , D/Y/B1/128/44
- Belford : Mary , of St Helier 11/01/1869 Desires to be buried in St Helier Cemetery Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier 5 shillings - Unknown date , 03/Feb/1869 , D/Y/A/34/76
- James Francis Belford ran a tobacconist at 26 King Street ...
- ... and Mary Ann Belford was a tobacconist across the road at 43 King Street in the 1860s
- Haberdashers Belford and Renouf were at 10 Queen Street in the 1870s ...
- ... Tobacconist James Francis Belford was at No 10 in the 1880s
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs