Bevis family page
Although this name is of French origin, the family came to Jersey from England in or about the 1880s
If you can help with information about the Bevis family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name has two possible origins - both French. The first is locational from Beauvais in Oise, which was named after the Gallic tribe which settled there, referred to in Latin sources as the Bellovaci. Various other places in North France named from the Latin bellum visum, lovely sight, may also have given rise to the surname, which first appears on record in England in the latter part of the 11th Century, having been introduced by the Normans.
It is also possible that the name is derived from the old French bel filz, from beu or bel, fair or lovely, plus filz, a son, given as an affectionate nickname to a favoured person.
The name does not appear in Jersey until the 1880s, and undoubtedly came from England rather than France.
Great War service
Sons of John and Susan Jane Bevis
- Albert John Bevis (St C) (1885- ) Private, RJGB
- Arthur Bevis (1893- )(St C) L-Cpl, Dorsetshire Regiment, wounded
- John Bevis (1891- )(St C), L-Cpl, Essex Regiment
- George A Bevis (1883- )(St C) Private, RJGB
- Minnie Ellen Bevis, British Red Cross
These wills created by members of the Bevis family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Bevis : Ethel Maud , widow of Walter George Bevis, of Quatre Bras, St Saviour Desires to be cremated - 18/Dec/1946 , 11/Jan/1952 , D/Y/B1/12/46
- Bevis : Minnie Ellen , of 26, Berkeley Court, Colomberie, St Helier - 19/Nov/1962 , 03/Dec/1969 , D/Y/B1/139/24
- Bevis : Walter George , Mount Pleasant, St Brelade - 17/Feb/1925 , 28/Sep/1929 , D/Y/A/89/169
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs