Binet family page
If you can help with information about the Binet family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Surprisingly for such a long-established Jersey name, which remains common today, no information on its derivation is provided by George Balleine in his Derivation of Jersey surnames.
However, French sources, which confirm that the name is peculiar to Normandy and Brittany, suggest that the derivation is as simple as a diminuitive of Robin, itself a diminuitive of Robert.
It is believed that the family originated in Maine in central France and were prominent in the department of Vendée, but it is not known how or when they came to Jersey.
Binet family trees
Although we now have five substantial Binet trees, there are dozens of baptisms and marriages not included and we look forward to receiving information from our users about further trees
- Descendants of Jean Binet
- Descendants of Charles Binet Added 2016
- Descendants of Charles Binet - 2, a different Charles Added 2018
- Descendants of Clement Binet
- Descendants of Philippe Binet, extended version of above
Great War service
Emigrant to Canada
- Herbert Binet, watchmaker, at 3 King Street in the early 20th century
- Philip Binet was an ironmonger at 3 Broad Street in the second half of the 19th century
- Carter Richard Binet operated from 33 Broad Street in the 1870s and '80s
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs. Images of gravestones in other cemeteries will be added progressively