Bosdet family page
Henry Thomas Bosdet was a renowned artist and stained glass window designer
If you can help with information about the Bosdet family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
This surname has two distinct possible origins, both French. Firstly, the name may be occupational for a worker in wood from the French "bois", or topographical for someone living in a wood (Latin "bosci", shrub, undergrowth).
Alternatively, the derivation may be from the Old French personal name Bos, itself coming from the Germanic "bose", reckless, daring, with the addition of the diminutive suffix "et".
A Philippe Bosdet was recorded in St John in 1331.
In the 17th Century they were Huguenot refugees; in the St Brelade marriage record for Jacques Bosdet to Elizabeth Valet in 1699, Jacques’ mother, Jeanne Bausdet was referred to as a refugee from Normandy. The alternative spelling of Baudet seems to have been more prevalent earlier in the family's history.
It is suggested that Jacques and his brother Matthieu are the ancestors of all the Bosdets today living around the world. However, Pierre Bosdet (1679- ) married Susanne Amy (1683- ) in Jersey, suggesting that there was at least one other Bosdet family in the island at the time.
There are no Bosdets remaining in Jersey, the last of the family having left before the German Occupation.
- Descendants of Jacques Bausdet
- Descendants of Jean Bosdet
- Descendants of Thomas Bosdet
- Descendants of James John Bosdet
- Descendants of Unknown Bosdet, the definitive tree overlapping the four above
- Descendants of Julian Baudet
Family histories and biographies
Great War service
- Louis Frederick Baudet (1885-1916) possibly son of Louis and Jane Baudet, of Trinity, then Guernsey, Stoker RN, HMS Crusader, died of wounds, Picture below
- Albert Francis Baudet (1876- ) (St S) son of Julien and Estelle, husband of Sarah, Private, RASC, left after one month due to illness
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs. Images of gravestones in other cemeteries will be added progressively