Boudier family page
If you can help with information about the Boudier family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Boudier is a French occupational surname with Germanic roots meaning "Army Messenger".
Submitted by William Harry Boudier, Roseville, California(1941- ), family historian for the descendants of Estienne Boudier and his wife, Ann Payn, married in 1721 in Normandy, France. Emigrated to the island of Jersey as religious refugees and took the Oath of Allegiance to the British Crown on 4 October 1721. The Reverend John Boudier referred to below is the 3x great-grandfather of William.
References: Dictionnaire Etymologique des Noms de Famille et Prenoms de France, Paris 1951; Societe Jersiaise Annual Bulletin and Genealogy of Estienne Boudier and Ann Payn Family.
Although there are web references to Jacques Boudier, married to Guellemine Aeher and living in Jersey in 1478, being the son of Jean Boudier, it is not clear what is the source of these references. If there were Boudiers in Jersey in the 15th century, their line seems to have died out, because the first recorded baptism is in 1722.
These two names have the same derivation but are probably distinct families in Jersey
From Payne's Armorial of Jersey
The family of Boudier is of remote antiquity in its native province of Normandy, where it had extensive landed possessions at Saint Malo, Coutances, and Villemer ; its various members having been Seigneurs of Soulle, St Giles, la Bissonaire, and of other fiefs in the neighbourhood. It was intimately connected with the Norman families of Lennier, Durand, Dupre, and Le Feuvre. One member of this family, Peter Francis Boudier, was Grand Prior of the Abbey of St Denis, and Superior-General of the Order of the Benedictines. A letter from Pope Clement XIV, addressed to this eminent ecclesiastic, is still extant in the family.
Various confirmations of arms have been made to the family; the earliest in 1396, and the latest in 1609. From this family was lineally descended, through Estienne Boudier, who settled in Jersey in the 18th century, the late Rev John Boudier, who was educated in France, then at Bury St Edmunds, and afterwards at Pembroke College, Oxford. He was successively Rector of St Ouen, Jersey, and of Grendon, Northamptonshire.
Arms : Or, on a pale azure, a crescent argent, between two mullets of the first. Crest : a crescent, argent. Motto : Dieu et la religion.
Jersey family trees
- Descendants of Andre Boudier
- Descendants of Jean Boudier
- Descendants of James Philip Boudier
- Descendants of Jean Boudier - 2, a tree going back to the 15th century
Great War service
Sons of John Boudier and Lydia Alice Norman
- John Francis Boudier (1896- ) (St P), Officer's Steward RN, HMS Monitor
- William George Boudier (1897- ) (St P), Able Seaman RN, HMS Attentive
These wills created by members of the Boudier family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Boudier : Anna Esther , ... - 22/Jul/1893 , 01/Apr/1913 , D/Y/A/72/20
- Boudier : Esther , of St Helier, widow of Jean Coutanche 27/05/1835 Desires to be buried in St Helier's Cemetery Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, 5s - Unknown date , 29/Oct/1835 , D/Y/A/23/69
- Boudier : Frank , of St Helier - 13/Aug/1861 , 10/Oct/1868 , D/Y/A/34/60
- Boudier : John Francis , Lowlands, St Peter - 11/Mar/1922 , 06/Aug/1930 , D/Y/A/90/104
- Boudier : Josue , of St Helier 12/11/1824 Desires to be buried in St Helier's cemetery Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £16 of the order - Unknown date , 04/Sep/1826 , D/Y/A/20/71
- Boudier : Rachel , St Martin - 10/Aug/1887 , 09/Dec/1905 , D/Y/A/64/113
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs