Bourgoise family page
Occupation identity card details for Phyllis Marjory Hassell, nee Bourgoise (1897- )
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origin of surname
Bourgoise is a variation of Bourgeoise, the feminine variant of bourgeois and it is derived from the old French borjois, which had various meanings over the centuries - dependent of a seigneur, inhabitant of a town, freeman, member of the bourgeois society. Bourgeoise is found in the Calvados department and Bourgoise is more common in neighbouring Manche, across the water from Jersey.
Francois Louis Bourgeois married Madelaine Guilbert in St Helier in 1750. There are no records of any of their possible children but Pierre Salvan Bourgeois and Elizabeth Raoul had a daughter Marie Anne Elizabeth in 1751, and Jean Bourgoise and Elizabeth Laffoley had a son Jean in 1752. This Jean came from Guernsey and the marriage register of St Ouen suggests that his name was actually spelt Bourgaize.
There are also baptisms of daughters Jeanne (1774- ) and Elizabeth (1777- ) of Jean Bourguese and Anne Gallienne in St Ouen. This Jean was the son of Jean Bourgaize and Elizabeth Laffoley.
Aimable Bourgoise, head of the tree below, was born in Normandy in 1823 and moved to Jersey and married Esther Le Riche.
- Le Bourgeois
Great War service
- Philip Cecil Bourgoise (1899- ) ( Gr) son of Philippe and Elizabeth de Ste Croix, Able Seaman RN, HMS Victory
These wills created by members of the Bourgoise family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Marie Bourgaise, Havre des Pas, St Helier, widow of Pierre Pipet - 30 June 1911, D/Y/A/70
- Elizabeth Bourgaize of St Ouen, desires to be buried in St Ouen's cemetery, bequeaths to the poor of St Ouen 5s - 14 January 1864, D/Y/A/32
- Elizabeth Bourgeoise, Grouville, widow of François Le Vesconte - 13 September 1930, D/Y/A/90
- Rosalie Bourgoise of France, now of Grouville - 18 November 1896, D/Y/A/55