Bowden family page
This family arrived in Jersey from England in the 1830s. Baptism and marriage records suggest that several unrelated Bowden households were established within a short time of each other.
Alfred Bowden, born in Jersey in 1903, son of Francis Baudains and Helena, emigrated to Canada, married Margaret Knox (1900- ), father of Peter and John
If you can help with information about the Bowden family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
There are a number of suggested origins for this name, which can be traced in a variety of spellings back to the Domesday Book of 1086. All have roughly the same meaning, describing somebody who lived on top of a hill. The various suggested derivations include the old English bufan dune = 'above the hill'; boga = 'arched' and dun = 'hill; 'Buga's hill'; and the Gaelic both an duin, also meaning 'house on the hill'.
John Bowden from Southampton married Elizabeth Carre at St Helier in 1825, and two years later William Bowden, from Cornwall, married Elizabeth Ward from Hampshire, also in St Helier. Another John Bowden and his wife Rebecca had a son baptised in St Helier in 1828, followed by children of William and Elizabeth.
Bowden is also the name adopted in the US and Canada by some Baudains emigrants from Jersey.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- William Bowden (1891-1916), husband of Hilda, nee Journeaux, Corporal, Devonshire Regiment, killed in action
- Arthur Queree Bowden (1888- ) (St H) son of Albert and Elizabeth Jane Queree, husband of Amy Lilian, Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
- George Bowden (1856- ) (St H) Mercantile Marine
- James Wilfred Bowden (1886- ) (St H) son of James and Eliza, Private, Royal Marine Light Infantry
These wills created by members of the family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Bowden : Elizabeth , widow of Thomas Garretty - 30/Aug/1893 , 13/Dec/1893 , D/Y/A/52/92
- Bowden : Havelock Leslie , of St Saviour - 01/Apr/1953 , 30/Aug/1954 , D/Y/B1/26/20
- Bowden : Leslie James , of Hillbrew, Sunshine Avenue, St Saviour - 09/Dec/1959 , 20/Feb/1976 , D/Y/B1/235/42
- Bowden : Olive Winifred , of 22, Holt Avenue, Bishops Tachbrook, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire - 04/Oct/1978 , 08/Sep/1980 , D/Y/B1/330/15