Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
- Brabant House
- Brabant Country House
Rue de Brabant, Trinity
Type of property
Large 19th-century farm group. Main house now a holiday let
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- Le Boutillier - the datestones below were believed to have been brought to Brabant Farm from elsewhere, so this family may not have been associated with the property. This is now thought to be incorrect as ownership of the property from at least the end of the 18th century confirms exactly the datestones. The datestones confirm the sequence of owners. Anne Le Boutillier brought the property into the de Gruchy family, just as Mary de Gruchy brought it to the Messervys
- de Gruchy: Pierre de Gruchy lived here with his wife Anne, or Anna, Le Boutillier and farmed the 30 vergées. A tragedy occured in October 1865, when Pierre, then aged 37, accidently shot himself in the leg, when out hunting. His leg needed amputation, but he died as a result
- Messervy: Alfred Messervy added this property to that also owned nearby by his family, at Ville à L`Evêque
- Derrien: In 1941 George Philip Derrien (1897- ), his wife Anne Marie, nee Georgelin (1902- ) and their children George Cyril (1924- ), Odentte Annie (1928- ) Edgar Lewis (1931- ) and Bernard Francis (1938- ) were living here
Three stones around the roadside arch, two undated
- CLB - For Charles Le Boutillier son of Jean brother of Anne (below)
- PDG ALB 1853 - For Pierre de Gruchy, son of Philippe, and Anne Le Boutillier, who inherited this property. They married in Trinity in 1853
- AMSV MDG - For Alfred Messervy, who married Mary de Gruchy in St Saviour in 1875, Mary being the daughter and heiress of the above Pierre and Anne, and thus bringing the property to the Messervys
Historic Environment Record entry
Substantial mid-19th century farm with extensive large farm buildings. The farmhouse is largely intact internally presenting an unusually complete 19th century interior, and the whole farmstead retains many external and internal features including unusual pigsties.
Site includes relocated datestones from 17th and 18th centuries. Set into the roadside boundary wall is a rare 1932 Derby manufactured George V wall box - one of only two examples in Jersey.
Two-storey, five-bay farmhouse with attic. Pitched slate roof, rendered corniced chimneys. Well preserved spacious interior including timber panelled doors, skirtings, panelled reveals to windows, staircase to attic (mahogany handrail, turned balusters, newel), simple marble fireplaces in two ground floor rooms, timber fireplaces in all four bedrooms with iron grates, link to rear extension with panelled doors and billiard room.
Old Jersey Houses
Notes and references