Brasford family page
The earliest Brasfords in Jersey in the 17th century all had French personal names, but this is a name for which there are only a handful of entries in the main databases of French records
The baptism record of Philippe Brasford in St Helier in 1681
If you can help with information about the Brasford family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
None of our regular sources provides any information on the derivation of this name. We have seen a suggestion that it is a corruption of Beresford in Staffordshire, or of the more common English surname Bradford.
We dismiss both those suggestions as far as immigrants to Jersey are concerned because it seems likely that Philippe, the first to appear in Jersey records (see below) came from France. It seems likely to us that the name is a corruption of brasfort, meaning 'strong arm'.
The name has been present in Jersey since at least 1677, when Philippe Brasford and Jeanne Houilleur were married at St Saviour. The bride's name is shown as Whiller in the subsequent baptism records of their three children, Jean, Philippe and Jacques.
For a name which was present in the island this early it is surprising that it did not attract the attention of the author of our Comprehensive list of Jersey surnames. And even though the early entries give every sign of having French origins, this is not a name which is at all common in French genealogical databases.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Edward Joshua Brasford (1872- ) (St S) son of Edward and Ann Sophie Wyatt, Mercantile Marine
- George Henry Brasford (1899- ) (St H) son of Edward and Henrietta Amelia Vint, OV, Private, London Regiment
These wills created by members of the Brasford family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Brasford : Annie Florence Mary , 1 Temple Villas, Stopford Road, St Helier - 27/Jul/1925 , 05/Jul/1930 , D/Y/A/90/91
- Brasford : Edouard , of St Helier 19/12/1839 Desires to be buried in St Helier's Cemetery Bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, 12 livres of old French Currency - Unknown date , 10/Nov/1843 , D/Y/A/25/116
- Brasford : Edward , 3 Belvedere Terrace, Millbrook, St Helier 13/01/1916 Bequeaths to Florence Mary Brasford two family bibles; to Rosa Alice Brasford a set of enclyclopedias; to the Jersey General Dispensary £5 - Unknown date , 25/Jan/1916 , D/Y/A/75/16
- Brasford's, Victoria Avenue, a popular cafe in the 1950s run by a family member