Burch family page
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Burch is said to be synonymous with 'birch', suggesting that the family name was given to somebody who lived by a birch tree, or wood. It may also come from the old English meaning of the word, 'broken land'.
The name has been present in Jersey since the 1820s, when there were baptisms for several families.
Great War service
- Alfred Charles Burch (1890-1944) (St H) son of Alfred and Eva, Sergeant, Royal Berkshire Regiment
- Alfred Edwin Burch (1891- ) (St H) Private, Hampshire Regiment son of Alfred and Eva
- Charles William Burch (1889- ) (St H) Saddler, RFA
- George Henry Burch (1884- ) (St H) Private, RFA
- Robert John Burch (1888- ) (St H) Private, Hampshire Regiment
- Philip John Burch (1883- ) (St H) son of Philip and Ann Mary Bisson, Corporal, Hampshire Regiment
These wills created by members of the Burch family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Henry Burch of 37, New Street, St Helier - 30 November 1881, D/Y/A/42
- Philip Burch, 6 Southend, Greve d'Azette, St Clement - 13 June 1933, D/Y/A/94