Burnham family page
Elizabeth Jane Burnham, nee Dickson
If you can help with information about the Burnham family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This surname is derived from various places in England with the same name, but the derivations are not always the same. Most come from the old English burna, meaning 'stream' and ham, meaning homestead, but sometimes the hamm element means 'water meadow', and the Lincolnshire Burnham started out as Brunnum, meaning 'spring'.
The first Burnham baptisms recorded in Jersey are those of the four children of William and Harriet Nowlen, who were baptised in St Helier from 1846 to 1854. They included William Thomas, baptised in 1852. He gave his birth year as 1865 when serving in the Merchant Navy during the Great War.
William and his brother Joseph came to Jersey in about 1840. William married Elizabeth Baker at Trinity in 1840 and they had a daughter Emma, before Elizabeth died. William remarried to Harriet in 1844.
Joseph, a publican in St Martin in 1841, married Ann Sohier in 1844, when he was shown in the marriage record as a 'gentleman'. They do not appear to have had any children.
Great War service
- Frank William Burnham (1888- ) (St S) son of William Thomas and Alice Clara, Private, RJGB
- Lloyd Burnham (1887- ) (St H) son of Charles George and Elizabeth Jane Dickson, OV, Sergeant, Canadian Infantry
- William Thomas Burnham (1852- ) (St H) son of William and Harriet Nowlen, Mercantile Marine (birth date given as 1865)
- Stanley Burnham (1890- ) (St H) son of above, Mercantile Marine
These wills created by members of the Burnham family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Burnham : Charles George , 1 Headingly, Peel Road, St Helier 30/07/1906 Bequeaths to Elizabeth Jane Dickson the property 1 Headingly, Peel Road; to Charles Burnham the property 2 Headingly, Peel Road - Unknown date , 14/May/1909 , D/Y/A/68/52
- Burnham : Mabel Eliza , widow of Henry James Richard Underhill, of Springbank, Vallee des Vaux, St Helier and formerly of Burnhill, St Mark's Road, St Saviour - 13/Jul/1964 , 25/Jan/1971 , D/Y/B1/155/1
- Burnham : Reginald Knott , Allendale, Victoria Road, Georgetown, St Saviour - 13/May/1941 , 28/May/1941 , D/Y/A/108/28
- Burnham : Robert , Baron Renwick of Coombe, of Hernes Cottage, Winkfield, Windsor, Berkshire - 02/Sep/1971 , 22/Mar/1974 , D/Y/B1/203/5
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs