Butel family page
Butel gravestone in Trinity Church cemetery
If you can help with information about the Butel family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This French name is most common in the Pas de Calais area of the country, but although it does not appear in our reference works for Normandy surnames, it is suggested that it could derive from hamlets in the region called Butte, and signifying a mound or hillock.
However, it could also be derived from bute or bote, meaning barrel, and be the name of a wine merchant.
The Butel family first appeared in Grouville records in the 1850s, and the name is still present in Jersey today. It would appear that the first member of the family to settle in the island was Frederick Butel, born in France around 1832, and married to Victoria.
New Zealand immigrants
Brothers Jean and Pierre Butel were born in Normandy (Jean in 1834 and Pierre in 1837) and in the 1850s they left for Jersey, where they were press-ganged on to a ship heading to Boston, USA but jumped ship and arrived in California. Leaving for Australia they jumped ship again in Melbourne in 1858. They had a friend with them from Jersey, Elias de la Perelle.
All three worked for the Governor of Victoria - Jean as cook and baker, Pierre as gardener and Elias as blacksmith. Jean, who became known as John, met his future wife who worked there as a cook. Pierre, who became known as Peter married Catherine Gorrie, from Perth, Scotland, in 1861. Elias also married Helen the housekeeper. Pierre married Bridget Flannery in New Zealand. John died January 1903 aged 69.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Albert Butel (1892- ) (St P) son of Pierre and Marie, Sapper RE
- John Butel (1875- ) (St C) son of John and Adele, Private, South Staffordshire Regiment
- Joseph Butel (1894- ) (St P) son of Pierre and Marie, Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
- Peter Alfred Louis Butel (St B), ex-RMIJ, Private, Dorsetshire Regiment
- Thomas Frederick Edmund Butel (1890-1974) (St Mt) son of Thomas George and Mary, Private, RAMC
These wills created by members of the Butel family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Butel : Albert Louis , son of Casimir Jean of La Moie, St Brelade - 16/Oct/1936 , 18/Nov/1950 , D/Y/B1/7/19
- Butel : Jean Pierre , Trinity 19/04/1888 Bequeaths to the poor of Trinity 5 shillings - Unknown date , 25/Mar/1902 , D/Y/A/61/30
- Butel : Louis Albert Joseph , of 20, Sand Street, St Helier - 14/Feb/1953 , 10/Jan/1958 , D/Y/B1/46/6
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs. Images of gravestones in other cemeteries will be added progressively