Cabot family page
With records dating back to the 13th century, this is one of Jersey's longest established families
J E Cabot making cider in 1913
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origin of Surname
Historian the Rev George Balleine records that the Cabot is a small fish that seems all head (It gets its name from the Latin, caput, a head). ‘So probably the first Mons Cabot's head seemed too large for his body’.
But 'cabot' was also a measure of cereals still in use in the 19th century and the name may have been given to someone who did the measuring.
The baptism of Colin Cabot was recorded in Trinity in 1464.
The name is particularly common in the records of Trinity and St Martin, in the north-east of Jersey, over 800 of the island total of 1200-plus baptisms and births in our database being found in the registers of those parishes.
The eldest branch of this family, which formerly held much landed property in the parish of Trinity, emigrated to America, in the person of George Cabot, so early as 1680
The Hon George Cabot, one of the descendants of the first colonist of this name, was a man of influence and position in Boston in the first quarter of the present century. By some it is imagined that this is a branch of the celebrated family of Chabot, which figures conspicuously in the medieval history of France, where its members held many high offices of state ; but by others, that it is identical with the family of Cabot, of Normandy.
Family tradition gives to this house the honour of numbering among its members the celebrated circumnavigator Sebastian Cabot, who was the son of John, of that name, and born in the city of Bristol.
As borne by the Cabots of America: Or, three chabots, haurient, gules
Crest : An escallop, or
These three trees overlap
- Descendants of Collin Cabot, 1464
- Descendants of Colin Cabot, 1470 The same Colin(n) as above, a different descendancy
- Descendants of Nicholas Cabot
- Descendants of Philippe Cabot
- Descendants of Moyse Cabot
- Descendants of Pierre Cabot
- Descendants of Francois Cabot, whose son John founded the American Cabot dynasty
- Descendants of Thomas Cabot, a Trinity family
- Descendants of Thomas Cabot - 2, a separate Trinity family
- Descendants of Jean Cabot, a Trinity family
- Descendants of Jean Cabot - 2, a separate Trinity family Added 2016
- Descendants of Nicolas Cabot, a Trinity family Added 2016
Births and baptisms
- The Cabot family a famous name in America
- A history of the Cabots of Boston
- Francis Cabot: A Mayor of Southampton born in Jersey
Great War service
A photograph by Ernest Baudoux
- T Cabot was a baker and confectioner at 43 King Street in the 1830s
- Charles Cabot was a lamp merchant at 58 King Street in the 1870s
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs. Images of gravestones in other cemeteries will be added progressively