Cadiou family page
This is a Breton name which can be spelt in various ways, depending on which part of the region it is found in. It arrived in Jersey in the mid 19th century, and was initially found mainly in St Saviour and Trinity, before spreading to St Helier towards the end of the century.
If you can help with information about the Cadiou family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This name is found in various spellings through Brittany. It is derived from the Breton cad or cat, meaning 'combat'. It may also be a diminuitive of the personal name Cadec, which has the same derivation.
The first Jersey records were Trinity births in the 1850-60s, followed by a number of births in St Saviour as the family began to spread its roots around the island.
- Descendants of Yves Cadiou
- Descendants of Yves Cadiou and Marguerite Pierres, extends the above back two generations, plus identifies another descendancy
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Arthur Edwin Cadiou (1896- ) (St H) Private, Hampshire Regiment
- Ernest Henry Cadiou (St H), Private RJGB
- Winter Peter Cadiou (St S), Gunner, Royal Field Artillery
- Philip Cadiou (1878- ) (St S) son of Jean Marie and Perrine Morvan, Private, RJGB
- Samuel Grandin Cadiou (1883- ) (St S), Private, Labour Corps
These wills created by members of the Cadiou family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Cadiou : Anne Marie , widow of Albert Louis Joseph Bredonchel, of Les Pigneaux Cottages, St Saviour - 20/Apr/1966 , 20/Apr/1966 , D/Y/B1/97/4
- Cadiou : Maud Ethel , of Sandybrook Hospital, St Peter formerly of No 7, Garden Lane, St Helier - 26/May/1978 , 26/May/1978 , D/Y/B1/280/1
- Cadiou : Winter Peter , described in his will as Wint Cadion, of 7, Garden Lane, St Helier and formerly of 13912, Hubbell Avenue, Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, United States of America - 09/Jan/1968 , 21/Jun/1977 , D/Y/B1/260/21