Castel, Guernsey

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Castel Crest
Castel Church, from a 1911 postcard

Contents

Introduction

The parish of Our Lady of Deliverance of the Castle, by use now generally called the Castel parish, but formerly denominated, the parish of the Grand Sarazin, is situated to the north-west of the island. It is bounded by the Vale, St Sampsons, St Peter Port, St Andrew, and St Saviour, and westward, by the sea and Vazon Bay, and contains 6,700 vergées of land; in 1861, it contained a population of 2,071, and in 1871 the number was 2,172 inhabitants. There are many fiefs in this parish, besides great part of the Fief Le Compte and its dependencies; part of that of St Michael, Montellant and several others are mentioned in the last extente as lying within this parish. The Seigneury of Saumarez, belonging to the Right Hon James Saumarez, is situated in the parish. Hill’s Historical Directory of the Channel Islands (1874)

Churches

Schools

Entertainment & Leisure

Public Buildings

Ancient Monuments & Memorials

Fiefs

See Fiefs of Castel.

Old Family Houses

Coastline

References

Links

Personal tools
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs