Cawley family page
This family has its origins in Devon. Charles Featherstone Cawley, born there in 1835, came to Jersey in the late 1850s and met and married Sophie Dorey (1834- ), daughter of George Dorey and Betsey Kelley. They had 11 children baptised in St Helier
John Featherstone Cawley was baptised in St Helier in 1859
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
This surname may have its origins in places called Cowley in Buckinghamshire, Devon, Oxfordshire, Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Cloucestershire and Middlesex. The name comes from the old English cufl = 'log or stump', or cu = 'cow' and leah = 'wood or clearing'.
There is a possible alternative derivation from the Gaelic MacAuley.
The name first appears in Jersey records with the baptism of 11 children of Charles Featherstone Cawley and Sophie Dorey.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Bernard Cawley (1872- ) (St H) Private, Australian Army Medical Corps
- Francis Charles Cawley (1896- ) (St H) Private RAF, wounded twice
- Sydney Featherstone Cawley (St H) husband of Hilda, Private, King's Royal Rifle Corps, wounded
- Bernard George Cawley (1893- ) (St H) son of Charles and Alice Jane Pirouet, Able Seaman RN, HMS Wallington
This will created by a member of the Cawley family is now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, date and reference number shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charles Featherstone Cawley, 1 Halkett Street, St Helier - 16 July 1885 - L/F/05/A/6 (held separatedly from the will section)
- George Cawley, 67 Stopford Road, St Helier - 24 February 1939, D/Y/A/104
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs