Green Street cemetery'
Jersey cemeteries: A summary
Burial records: A comprehensive index to cemetery records, undertakers' records, graves and funerals
St Helier Church
The cemetery surrounding the Parish Church, commonly known as the Town Church, served until 1827 when the Royal Court decided that it was full and should not be used further. The churchyard was considerably reduced in size in 1845 to allow the widening of Mulcaster Street and Church Street. People listed in the St Helier burial records before 1827 would generally have been buried in this cemetery, and these records are the only documents in existence for the cemetery. A computerised index is currently under development but it is understood that it is not intended to make it available to the public. Only a few headstones survive next to the church.
Green Street Cemetery was opened in March 1822 on land purchased by the Parish of St Helier between what is now Route du Fort and Colomberie. The north-west corner of the cemetery is the only part actually touching Green Street. Two-thirds of the new cemetery was allocated for numbered family plots with the remainder for poorer parishioners and wealthy strangers. Funeral directors' records contain many entries of burials in Green Street Cemetery, often called St Helier Cemetery, which include locations of the graves. See our Burial records index. There is an index and transcription of gravestones at Jersey Archive, produced by The Channel Island Family History Society, but it has not been digitised.
Mont a l'Abbe Cemetery
Opened in 1855 what is now known as the Old Cemetery, has its main entrance on Tower Road. It was followed by an annexe opened in 1881, known as the New Cemetery. Funeral directors' records contain many entries of burials in this cemetery. A CIFHS index and transcription of entries in the burial registers is held at Jersey Archive, but has not been digitised.
Thisi cemetery, off Grande Route de St Jean in Ruette Pinel, was opened in January 1950 and is the current cemetery for the Parish of St Helier.
The General Cemetery at Almorah, now known simply as Almorah Cemetery, was opened by the Methodists in 1854. It was intended for people of any religion and each had an area of the cemetery allocated for their use. Initially operated by an organisation called the St Helier General Cemetery, administration was transferred to the Parish of St Helier in 1921. Funeral directors records contain main entries for burials in this cemetery.
These cemeteries, owned by the States of Jersey, were known as 'free cemeteries' because anyone could be buried in them, regardless of religion. Many soldiers, new residents, French Catholics and the very poor were buried in the Strangers cemeteries over the years.
The first cemetery for strangers to St Helier and members of the garrison was located in Savile Street and was in use from 1893 to 1832. All Saints Church was built on the site in 1835.
This cemetery was followed by an area bought by the States at Lower Westmount, which opened in 1832. It was intended specifically for soldiers ofthe Garrison and strangers, but was immediately brought into use to bury victims of a cholera epidemic. It was declared full in 1865, and a century later was built on during the redevelopment of the area.
The third Strangers Cemetery was opened at the top of Westmount, near Mont a l'Abbe Cemetery in 1865. Fifteen years later and English law, which had force in the Channel Islands, allowed ministers of any denomination to perform burial services in any parish cemetery, so use of the Strangers Cemetery diminished, and the last civilian burial there was in 1934. The cemetery was again used during the German Occupation for burials of foreign workers and a small number of German military personnel.
These bodies were exhumed in 1961 and transferred to a military cemetery in France. Strangers Cemetery was then chosen as the site for a new crematorium, which has been in use since 20 December 1961.
The Quakers opened a small private burial ground in 1833 in Patriotic Place. The bodies were exhumed when the land was sold in 1956 and Patriotic Street car park was subsequently built there.
Members of Jersey's Jewish community bought land to the north of the Strangers Cemetery at Lower Westmount to create a cemetery in 1834. This was extended in 1873. Soon afterwards some Jewish families chose to be buried within a railed enclosure in the south-western part of Almorah.
A new site was bought next to Mont a l'Abbe Cemetery in 1969, and it remains the current Jewish burial ground.
The original churchyard surrounding the parish church in St Brelade's Bay was extended in 1851, at which time the Norman arch was erected and a Strangers section was laid out in the northern part of the churchyard. Prisoners of war from the Blanches Banques camp at St Ouen were buried here during the Great War, and this section was also used by the German forces for burying their military dead during the Occupation.
This required the creation of a new cemetery on the cotil opposite the church. It was opened in 1943 and consecrated in 1948. In 1961 all the German soldiers were exhumed and reinterred in the German military cemetery at Mont de Huisnes, France. The churchyard is now closed for all new burials.
Les Quennevais Cemetery
A new cemetery was established near Belle Vue housing estate on Route des Quennevais in 1997.
The churchyard of the parish church, which was extended in 1861, was supplemented by a new cemetery in 1969.
The original parish cemetery surrounds the church and an extension was opened on the opposite side of the road in 1863.
La Croix Cemetery
The consecration of the Russian/Military Cemetery on the dunes off Grande Route des Sablons in 1850 meant that Methodists and Roman Catholics could no longer use this site. Accordingly La Croix Cemetery on Rue a Don was opened for use as a Strangers Cemetery in 1853. This came under the control of the parish in 1952 and became a non-denominational burial ground.
With the building of the barracks on Grouville Common during the Napoleonic Wars, deaths among the garrison began to fill the local churchyard. A special military cemetery was opened in 1809 on Grande Route des Sablons, north of Fort Henry. This site remained in use until 1817 and was consecrated in 1840 for the burial of strangers to the parish. The parish purchased the land in 1859.
Although the cemetery is known as the Russian Cemetery, Russian troops were only in the island for a short time in 1799 and 1800 and there is no evidence of burials on the site before 1808, so it is very unlikely that Russians were buried there. When the site was being developed for housing in 1890 a few skeletons with traces of British uniforms were uncovered and reburied in Grouville Cemetery.
The original churchyard surrounds the parish church. It is now largely disused with a new, larger cemetery opened to the west of the church on the main road leading to St Mary in 1867.
Macpela Cemetery is at Sion,on Grande Route de St Jean, and was originally opened by members of the Independent Church. In the 1850s a plot of land was bought within the cemetery for the burial of the Proscrits, exiled French socialists. Control later passed to the parish and the land was consecrated in 1953.
The churchyard surrounding the parish church was extended to the north in 1865 and to the south in the form of a new cemetery in 1950.
The churchyard surrounding the parish church was extended in 1850 with some of the land being used to bury those killed in the building of the new harbour at St Catherine. In 1953 an extension to the cemetery was consecrated.
St Martin's Catholic Church
The church is on Grande Route de St Martin. It opened in 1863 and has a small burial ground.
This Anglican church has a memorial garden which was consecrated in 1975 for the burial of ashes.
Cimetiere de l'Union
This cemetery straddles the border of St Martin and Trinity on Route de Maufant. It opened in 1838 as a free cemetery, but has since been taken over by the Parish of St Martin.
The churchyard surrounds the parish church and contains family sepulchres numbered with Roman numerals. An extension was opened north of the church on the opposite side of the road between the two World Wars.
The parish church is surrounded by a large cemetery which has been greatly extended, most notably in 1867 and again in 1938.
St Ouen Methodist Cemetery
The oldest Methodist Chapel in Jersey, which opened in 1809, is situated on Route de Trodez and it includes a cemetery.
The churchyard surrounds the parish church as was developed in three stages. Much of the new extension consecrated in 1856 was used for the burial of the military dead from the nearby barracks.
The chapel is to the north of St Peter's Village and has a walled cemetery, a free cemetery where the first burial took place in 1853.
St Matthieu's Roman Catholic Cemetery This cemetery in the north-east of the parish surrounds the small Roman Catholic church which opened in 1852.
The parish churchyard was extended in 1850, and again in 1905, when it was fashionable to be buried there, possibly because Dean Le Breton was Rector.
Howard Davis Park The cemetery in the park was laid out next to St Luke's Church in 1943 for the burial of Allied dead washed up on Jersey's shores. Twelve crew members of HMS Charybdis were the first to be buried there. At the end of the war all non-British soldiers were exhumed and returned to their homelands, although a commemorative cross for each individual remains.
The churchyard at the parish church has been extended over the years and supplemented by an additional cemetery to the south.