Chambers family page
Charles George Chambers (1880-1942), son of a Jersey family, emigrated to New Brunswick, Canada. Pictured with wife Annie and daughter Eileen in about 1920
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
Derived from the French chambre, this was originally the person charged with looking after his lord's private quarters. In medieval times, servants in royal households were held in high regard, and frequently those who occupied senior positions enjoyed certain privileges, and the post would often become hereditary. The name is synonymous in origin with Chamberlain, which originally denoted an official in charge of the private chambers of his master, and later became a title of high rank.
The name first appeared in Jersey church records at the beginning of the 18th century, but after an initial flurry of baptisms of the children of Henry Chambers, there is a gap of almost a century before a family becomes established.
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Donald Meredyth Chambers, OV, Lieutenant, South Staffordshire Regiment, wounded
- Frederick John Chambers (1884- ) (St H) son of Robert Halley and Caroline, Mercantile Marine
These wills created by members of the Chambers family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Elizabeth Chambers residing with Philip Journeaux of St Clement, desires to be buried in St Clement's Cemetery 19 March 1849 - D/Y/A/27
- Henry Chambers, Devonshire House, Grouville - 17 February 1934, D/Y/A/95
- James Chambers of Essex, England, now of Gorey Village, Grouville - 4 June 1877, D/Y/A/39
- Margaret Chambers, Ommaroo, Havre des Pas - 19 October 1933, D/Y/A/95
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs