Champion family page
Beryl Lilian Janet Champion
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
When a person of standing was ordered to undertake an ordeal by battle over disputed land ownership, he did not participate in person but appointed a professional 'champion' to represent him.
The name first appears in Jersey church records in 1805 with the marriage of Samuel Champion and Elizabeth Pipon. Samuel was followed by a succession of English immigrants over the next 30 years from Dorset and Kent.
There were also French Champion immigrants in Jersey in the late 19th century from Ploeuc-sur-Lie the small town in north Brittany where so many Jersey families originated.
- Lechampion (French)
Births and baptisms
Great War service
These wills created by members of the Champion family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charles Champion, Ordnance storekeeper - 10 March 1870, D/Y/A/35
- Edmond Champion, His Majesty's Storekeeper in Jersey, formerly of the City of London, now of St Helier 24 May 1831 - D/Y/A/22
- Eliza Champion, spinster 3 July 1830 - D/Y/A/21
- Frederick Champion, Mont à l'Abbé, St Helier - 13 July 1933, D/Y/A/94
- Marie Champion of Commune de Mareilly, Avranches, Manche, France, now of 8 Craig Street, St Helier - 24 February 1898, D/Y/A/57
- Stanley Champion, 2 Freemantle Villas, Dicq Road, St Saviour - 17 August 1935, D/Y/A/97
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs