Chandler family page
A number of different, apparently unrelated, Chandler families became established in Jersey during the first half of the 19th century
John Chandler was baptised in St Brelade in 1827, as this church register extract shows
If you can help with information about the Chandler family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This was a name for a maker or seller of candles. The derivation is from the Middle English cha(u)ndeler, ultimately from the French chandelier and Latin candelarius, a derivative of candela = a candle. The name may also have referred to someone who was responsible for the lighting of a large house. Anotgher possible derivation is for somone who owed rent in the form of wax or candles.
The earliest Jersey record is of the marriage of Jean Chandler and Marie Le Feuvre at St Helier in 1764. Their two daughters Anne and Marie were baptised in the following two years.
A number of Chandler soldiers were married in Jersey in the 19th century.
Births and baptisms
These wills created by members of the Chandler family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Chandler : Catherine , nee McCrae, of The Barra Hotel, Kensington Place, St Helier - 31/Jul/1956 , 17/Jun/1960 , D/Y/B1/59/73
- Chandler : Frank Duncan , of 3, Roehampton Way, Durban North, Natal, South Africa Bequeaths to Doris Chandler, his wife, £1000 year from the lease of the Barra Hotel in Jersey and on termination of the lease the Barra Hotel passes to his daughter, Kathleen Nancy Prosser, nee Chandler - 26/Jun/1950 , 28/Oct/1954 , D/Y/B1/26/63
- Chandler : Frank William , of Tidewall, Curlew Drive, West Charleton, Kingsbridge, Devon - 27/Oct/1978 , 04/Jul/1980 , D/Y/B1/326/9
- Chandler : Frederick , of 16, Borrowdale Avenue, Sunderland, Tyne and Wear - 08/Aug/1977 , 08/Aug/1977 , D/Y/B1/263/31
- Chandler : Henry , of 10, Devon Avenue, St Clement Bequeaths to his wife Mary Eveline Lucas, the residue of the estate - 05/Jan/1949 , 26/Jul/1949 , D/Y/B1/2/27