Chelsea Hotel

From theislandwiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Chelsea Hotel in Gloucester Street was owned by the Binnington family and developed into one of the town's largest in the 1980s. Most islanders knew it as the place to go to renew their car tax in January in the second half of the 20th century.

1936 brochure

This brochure, produced by the hotel after a record season in 1935 saw 4,500 guests stay at the Chelsea.

The brochure, sent to anyone inquiring about a stay at the hotel the following year, praised the island's climate, with sunshine hours twice those of London and equal to Montpellier in the South of France and Padua in Italy.

The hotel boasted a dining room able to accommodate 500 guests at a single sitting, and a dance floor catering for the same number at daily dances, featuring a 'good orchestra'. Unlimited food was of the highest quality, sourced in Great Britain or elsewhere in the British Empire. The kitchens were under the personal supervision of the proprietors, Mrs A Quenault and Mr R Binnington.

In addition to the daily free dances, the hotel offered its guests a weekly sports day on the beach at St Brelade, afternoon and all-day coach tours, day excursions to France, and a full programme of other events through the week, including rock climbing excursions and clifftop picnics.

The guests obviously enjoyed their stay, and in 1935 1,000 guests and friends had attended the annual end-of-season reunion dance and whist drive in London, already in its tenth year.

  • The brochure is reproduced courtesy of the Jersey Temps Passe Facebook group
Personal tools
Donate

Please support theislandwiki.org with a donation to our hosting costs