Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
- St Estienne
- La Malzarderie
- Le Jardin St Etienne
Rue des Chataigniers, St John
Type of property
Farmhouse and associated buildings with 16th century origins
Chestnut Grove was sold in 2014 for £2.1 million
Families associated with the property
- Grossier: see below.
- Dolbel: Jean Dolbel and Jeanne Gasnier (see stone below) were married in 1798 and will have lived in the property. The Dolbel association with Chestnut Grove goes back much further, however. The Extentes of 1607 and 1668 mention the St Saviour Dolbels as being de St Estienne, the name also associated with their St John property through the Clos de St Estienne, which adjoins Chestnut Grove. There are further references in 1749 to Jean and Richard Dolbel. The family migrated, no doubt from the Dolbels` ancestral parish of St Saviour, to St John on the marriage of Richard Dolbel, in 1578, to Marguerite Grossier, daughter and heiress of Jean Grossier of Chestnut Grove.
We have not been able to locate any children of Jean Dolbel and Jeanne Gasnier.
- Langlois: In 1901 William Helier Langlois (1870- ) and his wife Emma Jane, nee Le Brocq (1873- ) were living here with Emma's parents Josue Le Brocq (1825- ) and Jane (1834- ).
- JDB 1805 - For Jean Dolbel
Historic Environment Record entry
Historic farm group including a notable example of an early farmhouse with 16th century, or earlier, origins, with associated farmstead, retaining many surviving features.
A good example of a mid-18th century farmhouse (c1750), with many surviving features; and a mounting block with possible Neolithic cup-marked stone. Possible re-used prehistoric megalith.
La Malzarderie is circa 16th century, with possible earlier origins.
Site of Chapelle de St Etienne. Evidence of this is from the bénetier, a stoup and the neighbouring field (J899) named Clos de St Etienne. If there was a chapel here it would have been built like St Blaize to fill the void left by the Priory of Ste Marie de Bonne Nuit when it was suppressed in 1413. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Historic farm group: Farmhouse (Chestnut Grove) with earlier house and outbuildings to north (now called La Malzarderie and Le Jardin St Etienne). There is a nine-stone arch doorway with chamfered round arch and outer row of voussoirs. To its left is a trefoiled benitier, previously located at the base of the tourelle stair. Above the arch to the right are the carved arms of Langlois. Some pigeon holes on first floor.
Old Jersey Houses
Several features identify Chestnut Grove, Mont Mado, as dating from the 16th century. In Old Jersey Houses Volume 1 the author, Joan Stevens, speculates that this could have been the site of a chapel, possibly the Priory of Bonne Nuit. However, as is so often the case with issues such as this, she offers no supporting evidence, other than that a field opposite is called Clos St Etienne. There was a Chapelle de St Etienne close to the St Martin border with St Savior, but no other site has yet been identified for a chapel, in St Mary or St John.
In fact, the adjoining field called Clos de St Etienne was most likely named after the Dolbel`s ancestral home in St Saviour, close to the St Martin border, named, simply, St Etienne.
- "We do know that there was a Priory of Bonne Nuit, dedicated to Ste Marie, of which the site is unknown, and this position is not an impossible one," is the somewhat vague assumption the author makes.
Notes and references
- ↑ Or 1703 or 1705