Churchill family page
Three generations of a Churchill family
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is an Anglo-Saxon name derived from cyrice = 'church' and hyll = hill, giving rise to a number of locations in Somerset, Oxfordshire and Worcestershire bearing the name Churchill. So the original holder(s) of the surname are likely to have come from one of other of these places, rather than simply to have lived near a church on a hill.
There is also a Devon Churchill, originally known as 'Curcheswille', which translates as the spring on the hill.
The name first appears in Jersey church records from 1709 to 1712, with the baptisms of three children of Joseph and Rachel Corneille, in St Ouen. There is then a gap of over a century before Charles and an unknown Mary have three children baptised in St Helier. THere are then baptisms of the children of Charles and Mary Atkinson (perhaps the same couple) in St Lawrence.
There is no sign of any of these families having survived for long in Jersey. Present-day Churchills are believed to be descended from a Somerset family which arrived in Jersey via Guernsey (see tree below).
Births and baptisms
Great War service
- Samuel George Churchill (1879-1916) (St H) son of son of Samuel George and Emma Journeaux (newspaper report says Joseph) Private, RAMC, killed in action
- Walter Francis Henry Churchill, son of George Francis and Amelia Elizabeth (1873-1918) AbleSeaman Mercantile Marine, ss Whorlton, lost when ship sank
- Albert Sidney Churchill (1891- ) (St H) son of Samuel George and Emma Journeaux, Able seaman RN, HMS Diligence
- Hector Churchill, husband of Elizabeth of St B, L-Sgt, King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment
- James Churchill (1868- ) Mercantile Marine
- James George Churchill (1895- ) (St H) son of Joseph Samuel and Eliza Gunton, Private, Labour Corps
- Thomas George Churchill (1893- ) (St H) son of Joseph Samuel and Eliza Gunton, Gunner, Royal Garrison Artillery
These wills created by members of the Churchill family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Mary Churchill of St Helier, widow of William Wright and Samuel Tozer 6 January 1853 - D/Y/A/28
- Roseana Churchill, 10 Lempriere Street, St Helier - 24 June 1932, D/Y/A/93
- Samuel Churchill, 54 St Saviours Road - 4 April 1922, D/Y/A/82
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs