Clos Durell

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Clos Durell, Trinity


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through


Property name

Clos Durell

Other names

  • Clos Durell Farm
  • Old House


Rue du Clos Durell, Trinity

Type of property

Early 19th century farmhouse with later ornamentation


Sold as Old House for £660,000 in 2016

A potato harvesting team take a break at Clos Durell in the early 1950s. Third from left in the back row is George Augustus Messervy, with his son-in-law David John Henley, next to him in the taller hat. The others are believed to be Breton farm workers

Families associated with the property

  • de Gruchy: The Jersey Land Registry shows that Philippe Thomas de Gruchy (1798-1870) sold this, his paternal property, on 17 April 1830, before moving to La Carriere, Longueville, Grouville. His father, another Philippe de Gruchy, will have also lived here in the late 18th century, as will his uncle, the privateer-owning Master Mariner, Captain Thomas de Gruchy, prior to moving to St Helier.
  • Messervy: In 1941 George Augustus Messervy (1865- ), his wife Lydia Maria, nee du Feu (1882- ), their son George Thomas (1923- ), daughter Noella Ada (1916- ) and her husband David John Henley (1912- ) were living here.
  • Le Marquand: In 1979 the house was owned by Bryan Le Marquand


Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Circa early 1800s with late 19th century ornamentation. Farmhouse with associated farm buildings.

Ornamented two-storey five-bay farmhouse fronting farmstead of 19th century granite barns and farm buildings. Pitched slate roof, cresting, rendered corniced chimneys, three ornate dormers at front.

Wing runs into large two-storey granite barn to north

Internal layout altered, but early 19th century staircase rises in detached flights from rear lobby to front first floor hallway and then to the attic. Low height fireplace in west ground floor room, roundels in corners, some surviving door frames and timber four-panel doors.

Old Jersey Houses

Not included


Notes and references

  1. The datestone register records the initials on the stone wrongly as CAMSV MMDF
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs