Colebrook family page
Frederick Joseph Colebrook
You can also select marriages or burials. Select the name you want and when the list of records is displayed you can easily refine the search, choosing a single parish, given name(s) and/or start and end dates.
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
From August 2020 we have started adding records from non-Anglican churches, and this process will continue as more records, held by Jersey Archive, are digitised and indexed. Our database now includes buttons enabling a search within registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These records will automatically appear within the results of any search made from this page.
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
This is a very old English surname, probably linked to one of several places in Devon called Colbroc at the time of the Domesday Book in the 11th century. It is either derived from 'cool brook', or it described a place where colliers - makers of charcoal - worked.
The Jersey Colebrooks came from Kent, where the line can be traced back to the 16th century, arriving in Jersey in the mid-19th century.
- Colebrook baptisms in Jersey
- Colebrook marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Colebrook marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Colebrook burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Frederick Neville Colebrook (1886- ) (St H) son of Frederick Joseph and Theresa, Private, Somerset Light Infantry
- Leslie Charles Colebrook (1894-1917) son of Frederick Joseph and Elizabeth Chipping Born in Brixton, Jersey father, 2nd Lieutenant, 14th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment, killed in action in Belgium, not in Roll of Honour
These wills created by members of the Colebrook family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Colebrook : Eleanor Violet , of Palmyra, Beach Road, St Saviour - 03/Mar/1975 , 03/Mar/1975 , D/Y/B1/218/47
- Colebrook : Eric Clement , of Belvedere, 49, Clubley Estate, St Helier - 13/Jun/1938 , 03/Dec/1971 , D/Y/B1/167/38
- Colebrook : Frederick James , Barmoor, Grouville - 27/Mar/1905 , 16/Oct/1909 , D/Y/A/68/106
- Colebrook : Lilian Kathleen , of Palmyra, Beach Road, St Saviour - 07/Oct/1970 , 07/Oct/1970 , D/Y/B1/150/30
- Colebrook : Lily Merrill , widow of Hubert Cave Blyde, of Banavie, Lordings Lane, West Chiltington, Sussex - 02/May/1975 , 19/May/1976 , D/Y/B1/240/14
- Colebrook : Walter Eveleigh , Palmyra, Beach Road, St Lukes, St Saviour 7/10/1930 Bequeaths the reversion of 1, 2, 3 and 4 Lincoln Place bordered on the east by Ann Street, St Helier to Lilian Kathleen Colebrook - Unknown date , 04/Apr/1935 , D/Y/A/97/52
- Colebrook : Walter Eveleigh , Oaklands Lodge, Trinity - 15/Sep/1893 , 27/May/1895 , D/Y/A/54/57
- Walter Colebrook and his son, also Walter, were drapers at 19½ and 20 King Street from 1880 until about 1905
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
Starting in August 2020 we are adding several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form