Cornish family page
Although the surname is found in Jersey records at the start of the 17th century, it was more than 100 years before a family became established
Hilda Sidney and Edna Cornish with mother Jessie, nee Manning
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email
Origins of surname
Unsurprisingly this name was originally given to a native of Cornwall, and is derived from the old English Cornisc, a compound of corn- from the Celtic kernow, meaning 'horn' or 'headland', plus the adjectival suffix -isc".
Although the name appears in Jersey church records as early as 1602 with the marriage in St Brelade of Robert Cornish and Elizabeth Chevalier of St Mary, is is ignored by the compiler of our Comprehensive list of Jersey surnames. Robert, who is shown in the marriage record as coming from St Brelade, may perhaps have been an immigrant from England who settled in the parish. Robert and Elizabeth's daughter Susanne was baptised in the parish in 1603.
The Cornish families which became established in Jersey originated mainly in Somerset.
Notable family members
Great War service
- Frederick Cornish (1892-1919) Private, Tank Corps, died and buried in Jersey
- Alfred Thomas Cornish (St H) , Private, RJGB
- James William Cornish (1886- ) (St H) Ordinary Seaman RNVR
- Sydney Philip Cornish (1889- )(St H) Corporal, Australian Field Artillery, wounded
These wills created by members of the Cornish family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Charles Cornish of Camberwell, Surrey, now of St Aubin's Road, St Helier 6 September 1851 - D/Y/A/27
- James Cornish, 12 Charles Street, St Helier - 6 February 1948, D/Y/A/119
- John Cornish, St Clement - 2 September 1911, D/Y/A/70
- William Cornish of St Helier, gasfitter and bellhanger - 9 July 1887, D/Y/A/46
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs. Images of gravestones in other cemeteries will be added progressively
Click on any image to see the full-size version
A family portrait by Ernest Baudoux