Cosnard family page
The 1822 St Peter baptism record of Charles Cosnard
If you can help with information about this family, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email. We are particularly interested in information which will help create further family trees, family histories and photographs
A blue link anywhere in the text will lead you to another page with more information on this family
Origins of surname
Although undoubtedly of French origin - there are 27,000 records in the Geneanet database - this name seems to have escaped the attention of all our regular sources for the origin of French surnames. Jersey records suggest that it was used in the 15th century as a baptismal name.
The name first appears in Jersey church records in 1555, when Thomas Poingdestre, alias Cosnard, married Marie Gruchy in St Saviour, followed by the baptism of their son Thomas the following year, but there is then a gap until the next baptism in St Helier in 1700.
There were five Cosnard entries in the Grouville burial register during the 17th century.
The family seems to have died out in the island by the mid-19th century.
Some of the variants listed in our Comprehensive list of Jersey surnames date back to the 15th and 14th centuries. There does not appear to be a connection between the Cosnard and Cosnet families in Jersey church registers.
- Cosnard, 1461
- Cosnet 1668
- Cosnez 1381
- Cosnert 1607
- Cosnart 1528
- Poingdestre dit Cosnard 1453
Births and baptisms
These wills created by members of the Cosnard family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1948, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Jean Cosnard , bequeaths to the poor of St Helier, £66 13 sols 4 deniers tournois of the order of the King 30 August 1794 - D/Y/A/15
- Jean Cosnard 18 February 1671 - D/Y/A/1
- Jean Cosnard 29 November 1752 - D/Y/A/8
- Jean Cosnard of St Helier, bequeaths to the poor of the General Hospital in St Helier, £300, in 3% bonds of the Bank of England, to the poor of St Helier, £300, in 3% bonds of the Bank of England, to the Jersey Benevolent and Stranger's Friend Society, £20, to the Penitentiary, £20, to the National School, £20, to La Motte Infant School, £10, to the Infant Union School in Clare Street, £10, and to the poor of St Luke, £10 3 February 1859 - D/Y/A/29
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
If you can help with information about this family, please contact email@example.com, using Jerripedia as the subject of your email